General News

Watch | Aarushi Talwar Murder Case Verdict: All You Need To Know About The Double Murder Case

Written By Supriya Krishnamurthy | Mumbai | Published:

The Allahabad High Court, on Thursday, acquitted Rajesh and Nupur Talwar while giving the benefit of doubt and a right to appeal right to appeal, in the murder case of 14-year-old Aarushi Talwar. The High Court has also directed for the release of Talwars. The judgement comes four years after Aarushi’s parents were convicted for the killing.

Meanwhile, as the High Court pronounced its judgment, Rajesh Talwar was in hospital while Nupur Talwar was in women's cell of Dasna jail.

Aarushi's parents, Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, were sentenced to life after a court in Uttar Pradesh convicted them for the gruesome killings of their daughter and their domestic help Hemraj in 2013. 

READ | The Entire Verdict Here

Even nine years after the murder, the case still remains a puzzle.


  • May 16, 2008: Aarushi Talwar, 14, was found dead with her throat slit in her bedroom at her house in Noida. Talwar family’s domestic help Hemraj was suspected of the murder.
  • May 17, 2008: Hemraj was found in a pool of blood on the terrace of Talwars’ residence. The door of the terrace was found locked from the inside.
  • May 18, 2008: The Noida police while suspecting insider job in the twin murders said surgical instruments were used in the murder.
  • May 19, 2008: Talwar family’s former domestic help Vishnu Sharma named suspected.
  • May 21, 2008: The Delhi police joins the Aarushi-Hemraj murder probe.
  • May 22, 2008: Police suspect honour killing. Aarushi’s parents named suspects in the case.
  • May 23, 2008: Rajesh Talwar, Aarushi’s father arrested for the double murder
  • June 1, 2008: The CBI takes over the case from the Noida police.
  • June 13, 2008: Krishna, another domestic help of Talwars’ arrested.
  • June 20, 2008: Lie detector test conducted on Rajesh Talwar.
  • June 25, 2008: Another lie detector test conducted on Aarushi’s mother Nupur Talwar as the first test was found out to be inconclusive.
  • June 26, 2008: The CBI claims the murder case to be a “blind case”. Ghaziabad magistrate refused the bail appeal for Rajesh Talwar.
  • July 12, 2008: Rajesh Talwar gets bail.
  • February 2009: Narco-analysis tests conducted on Rajesh Talwar between February 15 to February 20.
  • December 29, 2009: CBI files closure report on the case citing “insufficient evidence.” The servants get clean chit while the parents remain the prime suspects.
  • January 25, 2011: Rajesh Talwar suffers grievous injuries following an attack by one Utsav Sharma on the Special CBI court premises in Ghaziabad.
  • February 9, 2011: Trial court rejects CBI’s closure report at the same time sending summons to Aarushi’s parents to face murder charges.
  • February 21, 2011: Talwars approach Allahabad High Court for quashing trial court summons.
  • March 18, 2011: Allahabad High Court dismisses the plea of the Talwars.
  • March 19, 2011: The couple approaches the Supreme Court.
  • January 9, 2012: Supreme Court directs the bail granted to Rajesh Talwar would continue and he should appear before the Ghaziabad magistrate on February 4 to face trial along with wife.
  • November, 2013: A special Central Bureau of Investigation court in Ghaziabad convicts the Talwar couple for double-murder and sentence them to life imprisonment.

Now the question is #WhoKilledAarushi?  

Below Article Thumbnails