- The Supreme Court on Friday upheld the acquittal of Peepli Live co-director Mahmood Farooqui in a rape case.
- An appeal had been filed by the complainant, a US citizen, against Farooqui’s acquittal by the Delhi High Court in September 2017.
- Earlier, the complainant had said that the Delhi High Court had made a mistake in acquitting the filmmaker.
The Supreme Court on Friday upheld the acquittal of Peepli Live co-director Mahmood Farooqui in a rape case. An appeal had been filed by the complainant, a US citizen, against Farooqui’s acquittal by the Delhi High Court in September 2017. Earlier, the complainant, who according to an ANI report, is a research scholar at Columbia University, had said that the Delhi High Court had made a mistake in acquitting the filmmaker.
READ: 'Feeble No May Mean A Yes', Says Delhi HC While Acquitting Peepli Live Director Mahmood Farooqui
Farooqui had been acquitted by the Supreme Court in September after the High Court raised doubt about the veracity of incident and complaint.
The complaint had been filed by the victim several weeks after the alleged incident took place, ANI reported. The trial court had convicted Farouqui of rape under the new rape laws enacted in 2013 and imposed the minimum of seven-year punishment. Following that, Farooqui had also appealed against his seven-year jail term.
READ: Delhi High Court Acquits 'Peepli Live' Co-director Farooqui In Rape Case
High Court, however, gave the benefit of the doubt because of the delay in the FIR and questioned whether the incident had happened without consent or whether the accused understood the consent.
- A trial court had on August 4 last year sent him to jail for seven years, observing that he had taken advantage of the situation when the victim was alone in his house.
- The court, which on July 30, 2016, had held Farooqui guilty of raping the American woman in 2015 in a drunken state, had also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on him.
- The police had on June 19, 2015, lodged the FIR against Farooqui on the woman's complaint after which he was arrested.
- On July 29, 2015, the police had filed its charge sheet against Farooqui alleging he had raped the research scholar from Columbia University at his Sukhdev Vihar house in South Delhi on March 28, 2015.
(With inputs from ANI)