The voting for the next President of India began at 10 a.m. and will continue till 5 p.m.
A total of 32 polling stations — one in Parliament House and one each in the State Legislative Assemblies — have been set up, officials said. The Election Commission has appointed 33 observers who are overseeing the conduct of the election. While two observers are present in Parliament House, one each is deployed in the respective state assemblies.
The results will be declared on July 20 in New Delhi.
The electorate, comprising elected Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members and members of State Assemblies, is tilted in favour of the NDA, but the opposition is working to seek the support of some regional parties in favour of their candidate. Continue reading...
Rajya Sabha MP Misa Bharti evades questions on corruption charges against her
Massive news coming in! The Congress has been left out of a parallel Opposition meeting in Parliament. The NCP, the DMK, the JD(U) and the SP leaders are huddled up in a meeting.
The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha have been adjourned till Tuesday, after giving obituary to former members and Amarnath Yatris who were killed in terror attack.
Shiv Sena hits out at Congress, criticises Gopalkrishna Gandhi as the choice for Vice President
Sources says at least half-a-dozen TMC MLAs set to cross vote in the presidential polls. The NCP also hints at backing NDA's President pick Ram Nath Kovind.
At least half-a-dozen TMC MLAs set to cross vote in presidential election, sources say
DMK working president MK Stalin casts his vote at Tamil Nadu Assembly.
Meeting of the leaders of the Opposition parties begin at Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad's office. Omar Abdullah,Tariq Anwar and Sharad Yadav among those present in the meet.
Meanwhile, UP CM Yogi Adityanath casts his vote.
Sources say Minister for Urban Poverty Alleviation and Information and Broadcasting Venkaiah Naidu is the front-runner for the post of Vice-President of India. The development comes on a day when parliamentarians vote for the next President of India — a clash between NDA's pick Ram Nath Kovind and Congress' Meira Kumar — on Monday, the first day of the monsoon session.
Other names that are doing the rounds for the post of Vice-President are Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu Governor Vidyasagar Rao and senior Karnataka party leader D. H. Shankaramurthy.
(1) A unique serial numbered special pens of violet ink are being supplied centrally by Election Commission so as to ensure that only instrument supplied by ECI is used for marking the ballot.
(2) The inks are being procured from Mysore Paints and Varnish Ltd - which supplies the Indelible ink.
(3) Before entering into voting chamber , one polling staff will collect the personal pens, if anyone is possessing and will handover the ECI Special Pen to MPs/ MLAs for marking the ballot.
(4) When the Member of Parliament comes out of the voting chamber - the ECI Special Pen will be taken back by polling staff and would be handed over his/ her pen that he/she was carrying.
(5) Voting by using any other pen may lead to invalidation of the vote at the time of counting under Rule 31(1)(d) of Presidential and Vice Presidential Elections Rules 1974.
(6) Another First Time *special posters have been prepared for do's and dont's so as to ensure peaceful poll, use of only eci pen, maintenance of secrecy and non-issuance of whip etc. Continue reading...
PM Modi, BJP president Amit Shah cast their vote. Earlier, PM Modi addressed the media and urged for unity and consensus with the Opposition parties.
"Growing Stronger Together" ye GST spirit ka doosra naam hai: PM Modi said ahead of the beginning of monsoon session.