Hours after the Congress party claimed that six surgical strikes were conducted during their tenure and provided details about them, PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti criticised the party saying that it is following BJP's surgical strike 'rhetoric'. She added that Congress party has also made national security a plank to earn votes in the Lok Sabha elections 2019.
On Thursday, addressing a press conference in Congress' Delhi headquarters, Congress leader Rajiv Shukla said that during Congress tenure there were six surgical strikes and later put out a detail list about the same. He also added that there were four terrorists who were declared global terrorist by the United Nations security council during Congress tenure.
The details of enlisted surgical strikes by the party are:
1. June 19, 2008 in Bhattal Sector of Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir
2. August 30 - September 1, 2011 in Sharda Sector, across Neelam River Valley in Kel
3. January 6, 2013 in Sawan Patra checkpost
4. July 27 - July 28, 2013 at Nazapir Sector
5. August 6, 2013 in Neelam Valley
6. January 14, 2014 (Army Chief, General Bikram Singh’s statement qua surgical strike on December 23, 2013)
The press conference by the grand-old party comes just a day after India's massive diplomatic victory when Pulwama mastermind and Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar was designated as a global terrorist by United Nations Security Council.
In 2018, responding to a video of the 2016 surgical strikes along the Line of Control that was accessed by Republic TV, the Congress lauded the bravery of the Indian armed forces and had said that India had conducted many such surgical strikes since 2000. Congress party's spokesperson had then given the same list of strikes and claimed that the BJP is using it for political gains.