With the penultimate phase of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections coming to a close on Sunday, the wait for the counting day for the polls is getting shorter. Uttar Pradesh, which has the largest number of seats (80) is an important battleground in the polls for all the parties.
1. Muzzafarnagar (Uttar Pradesh): Ajit Singh vs Sanjiv Balyan is a test case of where Jats swing.
2. Saharanpur (Uttar Pradesh): Triangular contest in the seat where Congress’ Imran Masood, SP-BSP’s Fazlur Rahman, BJP’s Raghav Lakhanpal will fight. There are close to three lakh Dalits, six lakh Muslims in the constituency. The result will be dependent on the division of Muslim votes. Out of the five assembly seats, two is with with BJP and Congress and one with SP. Deoband comes within this seat. Both Yogi and mahagathbandhan started campaign from Sahranpur.
3. Kairana (Uttar Pradesh): The mahagathbandhan was tested here in the 2018 bypoll following the demise of Hukum Singh. Sitting MP Tabassum Hasan is on an SP ticket with the coalition's support this time. BJP changed its candidate from Hukum Singh's daughter Mriganka Singh to local MLA Pradip Chaudhary.
4. Baghpat (Uttar Pradesh): Another test case of gathbandhan as its candidate Jayant Chaudhary, who is the son of RLD chief Ajit Singh. Though he has moved from his traditional seat of Mathura against former Mumbai police chief and minister Satyapal Singh.
5. Ghazipur (Uttar Pradesh): Manoj Sinha (BJP) is seeking re-election from the seat and will be fighting against jailed don Mukhtar Ansari's brother Afzal Ansari (SP) this time. Sinha and Ansari had also fought Lok Sabha polls in 2004 however there was a lot of bloodshed that had taken place then.
6. Pilibhit (Uttar Pradesh): Feroze Varun Gandhi (BJP) has returned to the constituency from where he had won for the first time in 2009. He will be facing Shivpal Singh Yadav's Pragateesheel Samajwadi Party (Lohia) has fielded Haneef Mansoori, Samajwadi Party's Hemraj Verma during this elections.
7. Mainpuri (Uttar Pradesh): The fight in this Lok Sabha seat will be an interesting one as Jaya Prada (BJP) will be facing Azam Khan (SP). Prada who had first contested from the seat with an SP ticket in 2004 with the help of Khan will be fighting against him this time.
8. Sultanpur (Uttar Pradesh): Maneka Gandhi (BJP) will be contesting against Sanjay Singh (Congress). Gandhi's son Varun is a sitting MP from the seat.
9. Pragyaraj (Uttar Pradesh): The fight is being called the battle of the turncoats as Rita Bahuguna Joshi (BJP) was earlier in Congress whereas Yogesh Shukla (Congress) was earlier in BJP.
10. Last but not the least, Mulayam Singh Yadav (SP) will be fighting from Mainpuri where-in his lies Saifai, the Yadav family's bastion, Rahul Gandhi (Congress) and Sonia Gandhi (Congress) will be fighting from their respective strongholds of Amethi and Rae Bareli, and PM Narendra Modi (BJP) will be contesting from Varanasi, from where he won his seat in 2014. Gen VK Singh will be fighting from Ghaziabad seeking reelection.