- AIMIM leader Waris Pathan has expressed his disappointment over the bridge collapse near the CSMT station which has resulted in four deaths and several injuries
- At the same time, he also expressed his anger towards the government, BMC and the railway
AIMIM leader Waris Pathan has expressed his disappointment over the bridge collapse near the CSMT station which has resulted in five deaths and several injuries. At the same time, he also expressed his anger towards the government, BMC and the railway.
"Why don't the BMC and the State government ensure that the infrastructure is not maintained properly. They have Rs 6,000 Crores for building statues and monuments but do not have money to spend on infrastructure. They do not involve in random audits as a result of which the innocent civilians always find themselves at the receiving end," the AIMIM leader said.
The incident took place at 7:20 on Thursday evening. Rescue teams, including fire brigades rushed to the spot to clear the debris.
READ: Foot-over Bridge Outside Mumbai's CST Railway Station Collapses; Several Injured. LIVE Updates
Here is all we know so far about this incident:
- A foot-over bridge connecting platform 1 North-end with B T Lane near a newspaper office collapsed at around 7:20 on Thursday evening.
- Senior police officials, fire brigades rushed to spot, and the road was blocked. Commuters were advised to take different route. Train services were halted.
- Initial reports suggested that 23 people suffered injuries. Mumbai Police said they were shifted to the nearby St George and GT hospital.
- The bridge which collapsed needed minor repairing, and the work was underway when the incident took place. Around 60% of the bridge came down.
- BMC accepted responsibility for this tragedy, stating the repairs that were needed did not happen on time.
- Five people have died and 34 have been injured from this tragic incident.