Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed his sympathy with the families of those who lost their lives and got injured from the footover bridge collapse near CSMT station in Mumbai. Taking to Twitter, PM Modi assured full support to those affected by the Maharashtra government.
"Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the foot overbridge accident in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. Wishing that the injured recover at the earliest. The Maharashtra Government is providing all possible assistance to those affected," the Prime Minister wrote on his official Twitter handle.
READ: Foot-over Bridge Outside Mumbai's CST Railway Station Collapses; Several Injured. LIVE Updates
At 7:20 on Thursday evening, the footover bridge fell down resulting in 5 people losing their lives and several others suffering injuries. Here's all we know so far about the incident:
- As per eyewitness accounts, part of the bridge fell on the cars below.
- 2 NRDF teams of 70 NRDF personnel each have been helping those who are trapped under the debris.
- The BMC last month presented a civic budget of Rs 30,692.59 crore and a massive amount of Rs 11,480.42 crore for improvement of the city's infrastructure including bridges was allocated.
- The bridge collapse today came 8 months after the 40-year-old bridge at the Andheri station had fallen apart and 17 months after the unfortunate Elphinstone Bridge collapse of 2017.
- Last year, it was reported that by April 2018 the BMC would complete the survey of old and new bridges in the city. It was informed that the vulnerable bridges were identified and categorised and they would go under repair works
- The death toll has gone up to 5, while the injured have gone up to 36.