Over an hour after a footover bridge collapsed near the CSMT station, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis expressed his sympathies to those who lost their lives and got injured from this tragic incident.
Taking to Twitter, the state CM mentioned that his government had contacted necessary authorities so that relief efforts are done in a speedy manner.
"Pained to hear about the FOB incident near TOI building in Mumbai. Spoke to BMC Commissioner and Mumbai Police officials and instructed to ensure speedy relief efforts in coordination with Railway Ministry officials," his Twitter post read.
He then spoke to media and announced that a compensation would be given to the families of those who lost their lives and to the injured.
"This is a serious and sad incident. In 1980, this bridge came into being, and last year when there was an accident, a structural audit was done. There were only minor repairs to be done. We will do an inquiry. We are with the families of the dead an ex Gratia of 5 lakhs will be given to the dead, while the injured will be given Rs 50,000 and their medical expenses will be taken care of. The detailed report will take some time," he said.
Four people lost their lives and 34 suffered injuries after the bridge collapsed at 7:20 on Thursday evening. It is reported that 60% of the bridge fell down, and that it needed minor repairing.
BMC accepted responsibility for this tragedy, stating the repairs that were needed did not happen on time.
"Everyone is responsible for the collapse, it is a clear case of negligence by the engineers. We accept responsibility for the bridge collapse. Repairs of the bridge did not happen in time, we have to take responsibility," BMC Councillor Rais Shaikh said.