A fire broke out at the Priya cinema hall in the Deshapriyo Park area in Kolkata during a late night show on Sunday. As smoke filled the auditorium at around 10:15 pm, shortly before the show was to end, the audience had to make a hasty exit. Panic erupted as smoke billowed out of the building. Five fire tenders were pressed into service. There is no report of any casualty.
One of the staff member tried to rush downstairs but due to smoke in the stairway he ran up to the roof instead. The owners one of Kolkata's oldest and most popular movie theatres live in an apartment above the hall. They too rushed up to the roof to escape the smoke. However , they all were trapped on the roof. They were evacuated by fire brigade personnel. Fire-fighters gave them oxygen masks as they were been brought down by the stairs.The sources suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit.
Earlier, a massive fire broke out in a cold storage of spices near Britannia Chowk in North West Delhi on Wednesday. The godown is inside a seven stored building which is spread across 3000 square feet. The fire broke out at 12 pm and as many as 30 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire. At the time of publishing, no loss of life has been reported.
Fire officials are facing problem in dousing the fire as spices stored inside the cold storage is emmiting thick smoke. In an attempt to extinguish the fire, the fire fighters have covered their faces with cloth so as to avoid smoke of spices. Citizens living in the neighbourhood area are also facing problem in breathing due to the smoke.
Previously, a fire broke out in South Delhi's Malviya Nagar. Even as the fire department continued its efforts to douse it, often with 20-35 fire tenders on the spot at any given time.