Protests By Separatists Halt Life In The Kashmir Valley

City News

A protest shutdown called by the separatists affected life adversely across the Kashmir Valley on Friday. As told to Republic, security forces were deployed across the valley and all the entry/exit points have been closed to stop people's movement.

Written By Zeenat Zeeshan Fazil | Mumbai | Updated On:

A protest shutdown called by the separatists affected life adversely across the Kashmir Valley on 28 September 2018. 

Joint Hurriyat Leadership,  separatist conglomerate headed by Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik called for the shutdown against the killings of a civilian during Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) in Qamarwari in uptown Srinagar Thursday this week hit normal life across Kashmir today.

All shops, commercial establishments and schools are closed in capital city Srinagar while public transport off the roads. However, private vehicles are plying on the roads. Attendance in post offices and banks was also affected because of the non-availability of public transport in Srinagar and other places. Meanwhile, internet services in parts of south Kashmir remained suspended and train services are also shut in the valley.

A police official told Republic that security forces were deployed across the Valley, especially in sensitive areas, to maintain law and order. Witnesses said that a huge number of police and other forces have been deployed in downtown area of Srinagar who have closed all entry and exit points besides erected barricades on main roads to stop people’s movement. 

Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Mohammad Yasin Malik was arrested while Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest on Friday, to prevent them from leading protests against the killing of a youth in Noorbagh Srinagar. A JKLF spokesman said that a police party arrived at the Maisuma residence of Malik and arrested him and lodged at Kothibagh police station.

A spokesman of Hurriyat (M) said the Mirwaiz was placed under detention at his Nigeen residence. A heavy contingent of the police arrived at Nigeen residence of the Mirwaiz and placed him under house arrest, said a spokesman.  Mirwaiz was planning to lead a rally from Jama Masjid to Noorbagh after Friday prayers against the killing of a civilian in Noorbagh, he said.

READ: Centre All Set For The Upcoming Polls In Jammu & Kashmir, Assures Smooth Conduct

It is pertinent to mention that, Two HM militants were killed in an encounter that broke out at around 4 am in Jamia Masjid Panzan on Thursday while as in Dooru area of south Kashmir, one LeT militant and a soldier were killed in a separate encounter.

By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water