Less than a day after Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget in Parliament, he addressed a gathering in an open house event. The interaction was attended by an array of Union Ministers, top industry leaders and media persons.
READ: Budget 2018 Shows Modi Confidence About 2019
Highlights of FM Jaitley’s address:
- "Even on taxation policy, the space available is very little, because even though we're trying to increase the tax net, compliance rate in India isn't very high"
- "The philosophy behind the budget was to lend support to sectors where actually support is required"
- "(Healthcare) Scheme was originally envisaged in the Niti Aayog"
"It can be on a trust model, it can be on an insurance model. It won't be on a reimbursement model. The date of implementation will be in the next financial year"
- "In countries like India, you need to protect jobs as far as manufacturing is concerned"
- "I've always believed that there are large sections of the Indian economy which will always do well with or without us"
READ: Union Budget 2018: World Health Organisation Welcomes The Announcement Of Ayushman Bharat Scheme
At the time of presenting the Budget on Thursday, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stressed that this year's Union Budget would focus on four aspects namely-strengthening of agriculture, education, healthcare benefits and improving infrastructure. He announced two new measures under the government's Ayushman Bharat scheme, which are expected to take healthcare to greater heights.
Watch Mr Sanjiv Goenka introducing the Finance Minister below and the full interaction in the video above