Weeks after consolidating their alliance with Congress in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, MK Stalin's DMK has released their Lok Sabha election manifesto, that includes the release of the assassins of Rajiv Gandhi, who was assassinated by an LTTE suicide bomber on May 21, 1991.
Apart from panning across various issues from language to citizenship, education to the economy and even reservation, the DMK manifesto promises to release the seven assassins of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, who have been jailed for 28 years now, serving life term on humanitarian grounds.
However, declining their release jailed in Tamil Nadu, the Centre called it as the "most heinous and brutal crime," and the Home Ministry said that it would "set a very dangerous precedent and lead to international ramifications by other such criminals in the future".
READ| Congress-DMK Confirm Alliance For Lok Sabha 2019 Elections. Here's The Seat-sharing Formula
Here is what the DMK manifesto promises:
- Tamil will be made the official language along with English and Hindi in all Central government offices in Tamil Nadu.
- The states will take a significant place in the Central finance commission.
- The old pension scheme will be re-introduced for both, the state and central government employees.
- It said that a special economic council will be formed to bring back the economic situation to normal.
- There would be an administrative mechanism for petrol and diesel prices.
- DMK has promised action to integrate all Southern rivers, the Rama sethu project is promised to be initiated again and the Tamil Nadu cities will get a metro rail, according to the manifesto.
- Along with waiving off education loans for students, the education will be switched to state list from the concurrent list and NEET will be removed.
- DMK has promised to initiate reservations in private sectors.
- The Tamilians in Sri Lankan camps will be given Indian citizenships, the manifesto said.
Out of the 39 seats in Tamil Nadu, DMK will contest in 30 seats, leaving 9 seats for the Congress. As for Puducherry, Stalin will support Rahul Gandhi's party as he has left the only seat for the Congress. In total, DMK will contest in 30 out of the 40 seats, while the Congress will fight from 10 seats in the two states.
READ| Rajiv Gandhi Assassination Case Convict Nalini Writes To Governor, Informs She Is Ready To Die With Fasting If The Decision Is Not Taken To Release Them