As many as 12 people have died and more than 50 others were hospitalized on Friday, December 14 after consuming 'prasad' (holy offering) at a temple in Chamarajanagar, Karnataka, the Chamarajanagar superintendent of police, Dharmendra Kumar Meena said. The food poisoning took place in the morning when the 'prasad' was distributed after a 'puja at the Maramma temple.
The Karnataka government has announced five lakh rupees compensation to the families of the deceased. The hospital expenses of those undergoing treatment would also be paid by the state.
Sharing details of the incident, Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy informed that Principal Secretary and Commissioner has instructed district health officials of Mandya and Mysore to provide all possible help to health administration in Chamarajanagar.
Kumaraswamy has also cancelled all his prior-appointments and is traveling to Mysore, to meet the patients admitted to hospital.