The Amarnath yatra was suspended on Monday following the strike call issued by separatists in the Kashmir Valley. The shutdown was announced on account of former Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani's third death anniversary.
As per officials, the annual pilgrimage to the holy cave shrine which is situated at an elevation of 3,880 meters will resume on Tuesday. The Amarnath-bound convoy which usually leaves from the Bhagwati Nagar base camp for Kashmir in the early hours was prevented from heading to the shrine in case any it to spark any serious incident. The measures have been taken after considering the disturbed situation of law and order in the valley.
"The yatra is suspended from Jammu for the day and will resume Tuesday," a police official said.
So far, a total of 36,309 pilgrims have left the Bhagwati Nagar base camp since the commencement of the yatra from Jammu on June 30, a day ahead of the official start of the 46-day pilgrimage from the twin tracks, the traditional 36-km Pahalgam in Anantnag district and 14-km shorter Baltal route in Ganderbal district.
Till Sunday night, 95,923 yatris had offered prayers at the cave shrine, housing the naturally formed ice-Shivlingam, since the beginning of the yatra, which is scheduled to end on August 15 coinciding with the Raksha Bandhan festival.
Officials also added that mobile internet services have been snapped in the four districts - Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian - of south Kashmir as a precautionary measure. Officials also said stringent security arrangements have been put in place to maintain law and order on Monday.
(With PTI inputs)