In a sensational twist to the Ayodhya land dispute case, the Sunni Waqf Board has decided to surrender its claim over the 134-year-old title suit, in light of the agreement reached between a few parties during mediation proceedings, at the final leg of the hearing on the 2.77 acres disputed land on Wednesday morning.
The mediators would submit a new report before the Supreme Court intimidating an "agreement" reached between a few parties in the contentious Ayodhya case. On September 19, the Sunni Waqf Board welcomed the Supreme Court's decision to pave the way for the mediation panel to resume talks over the Ayodhya land dispute. The Sunni Board releasing a press brief on its stance on the issue stated that a mutual amicable settlement will be beneficial for both the communities.
Chief Justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi stated that the historic hearing of the 70-year-old Ayodhya dispute will conclude at 5 PM on October 16
A "historical wrong" was committed by the victorious emperor Babur by constructing a mosque at the birthplace of Lord Ram in Ayodhya which needed to be rectified now, a Hindu party said in the Supreme Court on Tuesday in the Ram Janmbhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute case.
A 5-judge Constitution bench, headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, was told by former Attorney General and senior advocate K Parasaran, appearing for a Hindu party, that there were several mosques in Ayodhya where Muslims can pray but Hindus cannot change the birthplace of Lord Ram. Parasaran, appearing for Mahant Suresh Das, who is a defendant in a lawsuit filed by Sunni Waqf Board and others, said that emperor Babur conquered India and committed a historical wrong by constructing a mosque at the birthplace of Lord Ram by placing himself above the law.
Fourteen appeals had been filed in the apex court against the 2010 Allahabad High Court judgment, delivered in four civil suits, that the 2.77-acre land in Ayodhya is partitioned equally among the three parties -- the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.