In yet another move to shelter the Pak-based terrorists, China on Friday defended its attempts to block JeM (Jaish-e-Mohammad) chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist in the United Nations. Its response came after recent accusation by the United States (US), alleging that China is protecting the terror groups from sanctions.
On Wednesday, Mike Pompeo, US Secretary of State denounced China of its "shameful hypocrisy" toward Muslims, saying China abuses more than a million Muslims at home, but on the other side, it protects the terrorist groups from sanctions at the UN."
Pompeo had said it in reference to China's move to block India's proposal at the United Nations to designate JeM chief Azhar as a global terrorist.
China has so far blocked the move four times in recent years. It recently blocked a resolution in the counterterrorism 1267 committee by US, UK and France, saying that it wants to provide time and space to the relevant parties to hold talks. This was right after India went to UN for listing Azhar as global terrorist after it took responsibility of February 14 Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF jawans martyred.
Read : PM Modi Interview | "Told Pakistan, 'You Pushed Terrorism But It Couldn't Stop India's Progress'; Take Action Against Jaish-e-Mohammed", Says PM Modi Recounting His Correspondences With Pakistan
Reacting to the criticism by the US, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang, in a media briefing on Friday said, "US itself had put most technical holds in the 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the Security Council, thus sheltering more terrorists."
He further added that at the UN Sanctions Committee, the practice of putting technical hold is in line with the rules of the Committee.
On being asked about Pakistan rejecting the evidence put forward by India on the Pulwama terror attack, he said, "the 1267 committee has detailed out clear stipulations and requirements on the listing issue. He later said that there should be no criticism as China has acted in line with the requirement of the UNSC.
“We are always working in a constructive manner, staying in communication with the relevant parties and seeking a proper solution," he added.
To another question whether China is preparing to defend its stand in the UNSC when the latest US resolution would come up for discussion, Geng said that China is staying in close communication with all parties on the listing issue and it hope to work with various parties to seek a proper settlement to the issue.
He also urged the US to act cautiously and forcibly avoid moving forward a draft resolution against Azhar’s listing.
(With PTI inputs)