Amanatullah Khan, a Delhi MLA belonging to the Aam Aadmi Party who is believed to be very close to Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, has been accused of slapping the Delhi Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash in a meeting that took place shortly after midnight on Tuesday. What's more, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was allegedly present in the meeting.
Amanatullah Khan, 44, is one of Arvind Kejriwal’s closest and most-trusted aides despite having been embroiled in a number of controversies.
1. Amanatullah Khan is the sitting MLA from Okhla. Khan won by a margin of 38.7% votes over Bhartiya Janta Party’s candidate Braham Singh in the 2015 Delhi Assembly Polls.
2. In July 2016, he was arrested for allegedly threatening a woman with dire consequences.
3. In May 2017, he resigned from the Aam Aadmi Party's Political Affairs Committee after alleging that Kumar Vishwas was planning a coup to overthrow Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. He was subsequently suspended for making the allegations. In October 2017, Amanatullah’s suspension was revoked. By this time, Kumar Vishwas' relationship with the party had soured.
4. In January 2018, Amanatullah Khan had resigned as a member of the Delhi Waqf Board -- a position he was given in November 2017. Amid allegations against him by then Lt Governor Najeeb Jung, Khan stepped down from the position in the hope that the new L-G Anil Baijal reconstitutes the panel.
5. Interestingly, in 2016, Khan was elected as the Chairman of the Delhi Waqf Board but had to resign from the position in a period of six months following raids by the Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) with regards to an alleged recruitment scam.