Hurriyat Calls For Complete Shutdown In Kashmir After Three Terrorists Neutralized By Security Forces

General News

Three militants were neutralised during an encounter with security forces in Fateh Kadal area of downtown Srinagar.

Written By Zeenat Zeeshan Fazil | Mumbai | Updated On:

Hours after the security forces neutralized three terrorists in Fateh Kadal area of Srinagar, the Joint Hurriyat leadership called for the complete shutdown on Thursday, citing the alleged atrocities, including gruesome killings, arbitrary arrests, destruction of homes and harassment of students and attack on journalists by the security forces. 

Three militants were neutralised during an encounter with security forces in Fateh Kadal area of downtown Srinagar on Wednesday. Though, a Police personnel was martyred during this encounter.  

At around 5 AM, Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) was launched by the Jammu &Kashmir Police along with CRPF after getting inputs about the presence of militants in an area. As the forces were coming close to the target house, hiding militants fired upon the forces triggering an encounter. 

Director General of Police J&K, Dilbag Singh identified the two militants killed in an encounter as Mehraj ud Din Bangroo and Faid Mushtaq Waza of LeT outfit. 

While speaking to reporters after the wreath-laying ceremony of a cop Kamal Kishore who lost his life during an encounter, DGP Singh said that Bangroo was involved in several killings and weapon-snatching incidents. 

READ | Three Jaish-e-Mohammad Terrorists Neutralized By Forces In J&K Encounter

He said the identity of the third “militant” was yet to be ascertained. “An operation was launched in Fateh Kadal area after specific inputs about the presence of militants in a house,” DGP Singh said. 

“Three bodies were found during search operation after the operation ended today morning. Two were identified while the identity of their active associate was being ascertained,” he said.  

However, reports said that the person who was yet to be identified was the son of the house owner. They identified him as Rayis.  All educational institutions were closed, and Internet suspended in Srinagar district. Class work was also been suspended at Kashmir University. 

In North Kashmir, Militants targeted Naka Police party of J&K in Pattan area of Baramulla district. Reports suggest that militants lobbed a grenade at a team of policemen near Babteng injuring Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) operations Zaffar Mehdi and 2 boys of J&K got injured in this attack. 

READ | Two Lashkar-e-Taiba Terrorists Gunned Down By Security Forces In An Encounter At Jammu And Kashmir's Handwara 

By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water