Following the Special NIA court on Tuesday charging Lt Col Purohit and others accused in the Malegaon Blast case with murder, conspiracy and abetment under sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who is also among those against whom charges have been framed, has denied said charges. Speaking to reporters immediately after emerging from the court in Mumbai's Fort area, Sadhvi Pragya asserted that she was not involved with the Abhinav Bharat organisation which the court had observed had been formed to spread terror.
“I am not connected to Abhinav Bharat and I am not a member of the organization. I have said that earlier also. This is the law at play (kanoon ka khel). Let them do whatever they want. We are fighting. We have filed an application in the High Court. It is okay. (Yeh sab theek hai) This court wanted to frame charges, they did it. Earlier, the NIA had given me a clean chit. I accepted that also. Now, charges have been framed against me. This process will keep going on,” Sadhvi Pragya added.
While the Special NIA court in its verdict on Tuesday ordered that the actions of the accused will be considered as terror activities, Sadhvi Pragya went onto state that she has not committed any terrorist activities, claiming "no Hindu will spread terror in his own country":
"No nationalist can involve in terrorist activities in his own country. Hindus will never spread terror in this country because this is a Hindu country. We are not terrorists. Many allegations will put on us by anti-national people."
Even before Sadhvi Pragya emerged from the court to deny the charges framed against her and other accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, Lt Col Purohit’s lawyer Ranjeet Sangle, spoke to Republic TV, giving further insights from the proceedings.
"Today in the court, all the accused were present on the directions of the honourable sessions court and charges have been framed against them under UAPA and Indian Penal Code. The trial will commence on November 2. These are all today's development,” said lawyer Ranjeet Sangle.
Further, on being questioned about their request seeking more time for the framing of charges, which the court denied, the lawyer stated that they would move the Supreme Court in a couple of days.
"The trial in common man's terms, won't start immediately. There is a further process for that. The prosecution will have to file applications for admission and denial of documents and there are about 8000-9000 documents in the chargesheet. Those documents will have to be considered. Admission and denial will happen on behalf all accused -- substantial time will pass on that. In the meantime, we are filing an appeal against the orders of this honourable court which was passed on October 22 and one appeal is pending in the High Court. Supreme Court will also be moved in a couple of days, once the honourable HC signed orders are out,” Purohit's lawyer, Ranjeet Sangle added.
Besides Lt Col Purohit and Pragya Singh Thakur, the other accused in the case are Sameer Kulkarni, Major (retd) Ramesh Upadhyay, Ajay Rahirkar, Sudhakar Dwivedi and Sudhakar Chaturvedi. All of them will face trial under the UAPA since earlier this month the special NIA court had rejected their pleas on the applicability of the anti-terror law against them.