Reassuring panicked persons who have been excluded from the NRC Final List, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar, on Saturday has said that appeal can be made in court regarding the same. He also assured that justice will be rendered in the matter. The National Registry of Citizens (NRC) state coordinator's office released the final NRC list at 10 AM, earlier in the day. 3,11,21,004 Assam residents have been found eligible, while 19,06,657 Assam residents have been found ineligible.
"With regards to NRC, the Assam government has made it clear that those who have been excluded can appeal in the court. Justice will be served at the appeal. Hence, there is no reason for them to fear. People can check for their names in the list released without a doubt," said Javadekar.
Opposing the NRC Final list released, the All Assam Students Union (AASU) is set to approach the Supreme Court in the matter. AASU's Chief Adviser - Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya has alleged that the number excluded in the Final NRC List does not match with the number the State government and the Centre have been giving from time to time in regards to number of illegal immigrants in Assam. Meanwhile, Congress is currently holding a meeting to discuss the issues in NRC. This meeting is headed by interim-Congress president Sonia Gandhi. The meeting is held at Sonia Gandhi's official New Delhi residence at 10 Janpath.
The NRC Final list's exclusion includes the number of people who did not submit their papers to the NRC authorities. The 19 lakh exclusion is a major decrease from the over 40 lakh excluded in the second draft published on July 2018. The NRC office has stated that hard copies of the Supplementary list of inclusions will be at the public view at NRC Seva Kendras (NSK). The same list will also be available at the offices of the Deputy Commissioner and Circle officer during office hours - 10 am to 4 pm.
The NRC was first prepared in 1951 under the purview of the Census Act, 1948. An updation process was started in 2013 and ended with the receipt of forms by the NRC authorities on 31 August 2015. The process aimed at separating genuine Indian citizens from undocumented immigrants living in Assam. As per NRC terms, a resident has to prove that they or their ancestors entered Assam before midnight on March 24, 1971. Anyone failing to do so will be declared a foreigner.
According to the NRC press release, 3,30,27,661 Assam residents have had to prove their Indian citizenship. Previously in December 2017, the first draft was published in which 140 lakh people were included. Further, in July 2018, the second draft was published where more than 40 lakh people were excluded. Apart from these drafts, an additional exclusion list was published on June 26, 2019, where names of 1,02,463 people were published. These persons were earlier included in the draft.