As #MeToo campaign is snowballing in the country, Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Friday took to Twitter and said, “It’s about time everyone learns to treat women with respect and dignity.” Hailing the campaign, the Congress President further said, “I’m glad the space for those who don't, is closing. The truth needs to be told loud and clear in order to bring about change.”
However, even as the Congress President has taken a stand on the movement, he is yet to issue a statement on allegations on two NSUI members.
Rahul Gandhi’s statement on the #MeToo campaign came just a day after he had promised to address the issue in a further press conference.
On Thursday, Rahul Gandhi was asked about his take on the movement and also on the allegations against MJ Akbar. An unprepared Gandhi, however delivered a very vague answer to the question, saying, “MeToo is a very big issue. I will comment on it in a further press conference."
Meanwhile, Minister of State for External Affairs MJ Akbar might return back from his foreign tour on Sunday. A call on continuation of his duties will be taken by the government after his return. MJ Akbar was scheduled to return on Friday, however, sources indicated that he, along with others in the delegation, is currently in Malabo of Equatorial Guinea, Central Africa and that the minister will be back on Sunday.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Congress party asked the government to probe the charges against MJ Akbar.
"Union Minister MJ Akbar should either give a satisfactory answer to the allegations or he should resign. We demand an inquiry into the matter," Jaipal Reddy of Congress said.
As many as 10 women have named MJ Akbar so far. It began with a post by journalist Priya Ramani, who called out MJ Akbar and accused him of inappropriate behaviour. After her post, several other women spoke out and accused MJ Akbar of sexual harassment.