At least 40 people have died after allegedly consuming spurious liquor in Assam's Jorhat and Golaghat district
As per PTI, five women were among those who died in the incident.
The first incident was reported from Salmara Tea Estate. Two Excise officers have been suspended with immediate effect. Two people involved in making country liquor have been arrested.
The death toll is likely to go up.
One man Commission has been formed to conduct an inquiry into the incident. Upper Assam Commissioner Julie Sonowal will conduct an inquiry and submit the report within 30 days.
Below is the Assam Excise Department's notification on the one-man Commission:
The victims, labourers of Salmara tea estate in Golaghat fell ill there on Thursday night after consuming the liquor, the police said to PTI.
Twelve of them were brought dead to the Golaghat civil hospital and three of them succumbed later. Twenty-seven of the ill have been referred to the Jorhat Medical College Hospital, the police said.
The death toll is likely to increase as reports of more persons falling ill after consuming the spurious liquor are coming in, a district official said to the agency.
More than a hundred people are reported to have consumed the liquor, suspected to have been bought from the same seller, Khumtai's BJP MLA Mrinal Saikia said to the agency.
A doctor attending to the patients said that the deaths were due to consumption of spurious country liquor and the condition of most of those brought to the hospital was serious.
Saikia said that he has directed the district administration to inquire into the matter and take immediate action against those responsible for the tragedy.
All the deceased, barring one, have been identified.
Congress MLA Rupjyoti Kurmi has demanded the resignation of Excise Minister Parimal Suklabaidya and urged Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to give compensation to the next of the kin of the deceased.
Recently, around 100 people died due to consumption of spurious liquor in Saharanpur and Kushinagar districts of Uttar Pradesh and Haridwar district of neighbouring Uttarakhand.
According to media reports, the hooch was suspected to have been made in villages near the Uttarakhand-Uttar Pradesh border, the commission said.
"According to the media report, carried today, in Pusaina village there are families, which have lost more than one male member. The noxious alcoholic concoction, that sometimes comes mixed with deadly urea, battery fluid and chemicals, for an instant and extra high, is the main cause of deaths in such a large number," the statement said.
(With agency inputs)