'Provide Separate Lanes For VIPs, Sitting Judges At Toll Plaza', Madras High Court Directs National Highways Authority Of India

General News

The court said that any violation of the authority’s order in its circular will be “viewed seriously”.

Written By Daamini Sharma | Mumbai | Updated On:

The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed the National Highways Authority of India to provide separate lanes at toll plazas for VIPs, including sitting judges, all over the country. The bench was hearing a plea by L&T Krishnagiri-Wallajapet Tollway Limited, which sought direction to the Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation Limited’s Villupuram and Salem divisions to pay the toll user fee.

“It is disheartening to note that the vehicles of VIPs and sitting judges are stopped at toll plazas. It is very unfortunate that sitting judges are also compelled to wait at toll plazas for 10 to 15 minutes and that this issue has not been taken seriously by the Union government and NHAI,” the interim order by Justices Huluvadi G Ramesh and MV Muralidharan said.

 Warning the authority of a show-cause notice if a circular was not issued, the bench said:

"A circular may be issued to each toll collector to provide a separate lane for VIPs and sitting judges vehicles any violations of the order by NHAI will be viewed seriously".

There is no separate PIL filed on this matter. 

Read: The CJI Can Now Grant Accreditation To Supreme Court Journalists Without Law Degrees

Earlier this month, the Madras High Court on Monday directed the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) to publicise in media that stern actions will be taken against the education institutes if they fail to follow the board's 'No Homework' rule for class 1 and 2 students. Justice N Kirubakaran passed the order on a plea by advocate M Purushothaman directing the CBSE to follow only syllabus and books prescribed by the National Council Of Educational Research and Training.

At the time of the hearing on the matter before Justice Kirubakaran, the CBSE produced a copy of the circular which said it had issued similar circulars on September 15, 2004, and on September 12, 2016, saying there should not be any homework assigned to students of classes 1 and 2.

According to CBSE affiliation bylaws, schools affiliated to the board must satisfy its advisory saying no school bag and no homework for students up to class 2.

"It is once again reiterated that schools may ensure that no homework is given in class 3", the board stated in compliance of the directions from the High Court.

"It is also reiterated that since NCERT is an academic authority for classes 1 to 8, all schools may ensure that CBSE circular dated April 17, 2007, on reducing the satchel load and homework for children, is scrupulously followed," it said.

 

Get today’s India news and stay updated with latest news headlines. Follow the latest India news and never miss out on any updates from the world of Politics, Economy, Elections etc. Download the app or visit Republic World to watch Live TV & get all the breaking news from India.

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS