The BCCI has issued a letter to the ICC in the wake of the Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF Jawans were martyred in a Jaish-e-Mohammad-backed suicide bombing, following which there has been a significant outcry from Indians calling for an end to all ties with Pakistan, especially in the sporting and cultural fronts, with special spotlight falling on the India-Pakistan World Cup 2019 tie scheduled to take place in Manchester on June 16.
The following is the text of the BCCI's letter to the ICC, calling for the cricketing community to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates:
This communication is being addressed to voice the BCCI's concerns and sentiments that have emerged after the recent dastardly terrorist attack which was carried out on Indian soil by a terror outfit based out of Pakistan which resulted in the death of 44 Indian security personnel.
In view of the aforesaid terrorist attack, BCCI fears for the safety and security of players and match officials participating in upcoming ICC events including the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
Most countries from which the members of the ICC hail (including United Kingdom) have strongly condemned this terrorist attack and expressed solidarity with India. BCCI urges the cricketing community to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates.
The BCCI also wishes to express its concerns over the safety and security of fans of Indian cricket at the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
The BCCI trusts that the ICC and ECB will ensure that the most robust security is provided to players, match officials and fans of Indian cricket for the upcoming World Cup. The BCCI reserves all its rights and entitlements in this regard.
This communication is being issued for and on behalf of the BCCI by the Committee of Administrators for the BCCI appointed by the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India.
Earlier in the day, the BCCI's CoA met to discuss developments in light of the terror attack, with Vinod Rai saying the following about the letter:
"First decision is of the email that is being sent to the ICC, which expresses the concerns of the attack that has taken place and that we are telling them that the security of players, officials and everybody else should be appropriately taken care of. Secondly, we are telling the cricketing community, that in future we must sever ties with nations from which such terror emerges."
The CoA members then mentioned that no decision has been taken on the fixture between the two countries and that a final call will only be taken after consultation with the Indian government:
"16th June (World Cup fixture between India-Pakistan) is very far away. We will take a call on that later and in consultation with the Government. Whatever decision we will take will be after discussion with the government...We haven't had any conversation with the players either".
They also announced that the opening ceremony for the IPL would be cancelled and that the budget would be given to the families of the martyrs:
"We will not have a regular IPL ceremony. The budget of that ceremony will be given to families of those who have been victims."
Also on Friday, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that this was no time to play Cricket with Pakistan, even if monetary losses were on the cards:
"We should not play cricket with Pakistan even if we have to suffer monetary loss. This is my personal opinion that there should be no match," the Home Minister said while speaking to Republic Bharat and Republic TV's Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami.
However, Sachin Tendulkar has batted for India to play the World Cup match as forfeiting the match would entail Pakistan getting two points:
(With PTI inputs)