General News

Rewari Gangrape Case: Three Arrested Sent To Five-day Police Custody Even As Haryana CM Promises Strict Action

Written By Narayan R | Mumbai | Published:

Hack:

  • Into the fifth day since the shocking gangrape of a 19-year-old in Rewari came to light, the three accused in the case, including the prime accused have been sent to a five-day police custody
  • Nishu Phogat, one of three main accused, along with Deen Dayal and Dr. Sanjeev, who had roles to play in the crime, were caught hold by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) on Sunday

Update at 15:21 PM: 'India hangs its head in shame' tweets Congress President Rahul Gandhi

Update at 13:51 PM: No further arrests as yet

Update at 11 PM: Sub-inspector of the Women's Police station in Rewari has been suspended and an inquiry initiated against her. She was the officer on duty on September 12 when the FIR was registered. Departmental inquiry issued for the delay in registering the FIR


Into the fifth day since the shocking gangrape of a 19-year-old in Rewari came to light, three of the accused in the case, including the prime accused have been sent to a five-day police custody. Nishu Phogat, one of three main accused, along with Deen Dayal and Dr. Sanjeev, who had roles to play in the crime, were caught hold by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) on Sunday.

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, who has kept silent on this issue and has been criticized for it, promised to take strictest of actions against the culprits. He said, "We are dealing Rewari case strictly. I want to appeal to the people, 'anyone found supporting or helping the other two accused will also face action'."

Similar words were echoed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who informed the media that the Haryana CM will deal strictly with on this issue. "I had a word with Chief Minister of Haryana on Rewari . He told me will take strict actions against culprits," he told media during his visit to Jammu.

Earlier on Monday, startling revelations came into light about the accused in the case. Amit Kumar, the acting sarpanch of the village in which the victim resides, revealed that the three prime accused are 'habitual sexual offenders'.

READ: Rewari Gangrape: 2 Of 3 Accused On The Run; SIT Proud, Khattar Silent

Speaking exclusively to Republic TV, he said, "Accused men were habitual sexual offenders - used to look at every woman in a wrong manner. They are disgusting men. They should be given death penalty - I personally believe this."

He also spoke about the previous instances where such incidents took place. "In villages like ours, many a time cases like these are suppressed. People are not willing to come out and talk about them. People tend to not report cases thinking what will happen to their daughter’s future - whether or not she will get married. 

WATCH: Special Investigation Team Arrests Three, Including Main Accused Nishu Phogat In Rewari Gangrape Case

"I know of incidents like these that men have been accused of in the past but I won’t be able to disclose them because I don’t want the girl to get shamed. When a similar incident happened in the past and the issue came to the panchayat, these accused came with 80-90 men who were armed. They told us that whatever happened was a personal issue and that it was about a fight - so we ended it there," Amit further added.

DO NOT MISS