General News

Rewari Gangrape: SIT Makes First Arrest Though Main-accused Still At Large. LIVE UPDATES HERE

Written By Athulya Nambiar | Mumbai | Published:

Hack:

  • The first arrest in the Rewari rape case comes five days after the crime
  • The owner of the tube well were the crime was committed was booked on charges of criminal conspiracy

 

Update at 5:10 PM: The family is assured of proper treatment here. She will be here only. She is stable now: ADGP Srikanth Jadav 

Update at 3.47 PM :  SP Rewari Rajesh Duggal has been transferred . Rahul Sharma appointed as the New SP. 

Update at 3.00 PM :  Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said, " Three people have been identified. It is unfortunate, that it has happened among the informed people. The rape done by informed and ‘unknown’ people should be differentiated. The crime done by these informed people, is shameful. Aur iss ghinoni harkat ki jitni dhunda ki jaaye utna kam hai.  bahut jaldi, unlog ka pradhan kar lia gaya hai. It is unfortunate that one of them is identified as an army man. This has been identified and they will be caught  A prize of Rs 1 lakh has also been announced. They will be caught soon, no one will be spared."

Diverting from the case, he  further spoke about the Swacchata Abhiyaan, "It is an important issue of carrying out Swacchata Abhiyaan in the nation. The success of the campaign is a matter of pride for our country . The PM had initiated this campaign in 2014 and now several states are becoming ODF (Open Defecation Free). Haryana became ODF a year ago and now it is moving towards ODF plus. The cleanliness drive is not only the responsibility of the government, but every citizen is equally responsible."

Update at 2.45 PM:  Former sarpanch of the village called in by the SIT. 

Earlier, Abhay Singh, the village's ex-Sarpanch had made a startling claim. While speaking to Republic  TV,  he said that he had spotted one of the accused at the incident spot after it happened and went to inform the police, but the Police said that they didn't have the required security to make the arrest as their force had been diverted to a function of the Chief Minister. As a result of this, the accused managed to abscond from the location.

Update at 1.40 PM :  Victim's family writes two letters to authorities: 

  • The first letter is addressed to the hospital authorities, requesting them to shift  the victim to AIIMS, Delhi, as the family is upset with the treatment and the facilities provided.
  • The second letter is addressed to the SIT head SP  Nazneen Bhasin requesting them to take the victim’s statement again. The letter claimed that the first statement was taken in the middle of the night when the victim was in a semi conscious state.

Update at 1.00 PM : Renuka Chowdhury, MP from the Indian National Congress, speaking in support of the victim, said : "Being a mother, I extend my support to the victim's mother. Compensation is not enough when the accused are on the run. You have reduced the life of a topper to a few rupees."

Update at 12.55 PM : Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal commenting on the case, said : "This is very sad. The way the Haryana Government is dealing with the case is more sad. I hope the culprits are caught soon . These cases of rapes are on a rise in Haryana."

In the latest development in the horrific Rewari gangrape case, the police SIT that was constituted on Saturday, almost three days after the incident, has made its first arrest -- though not of the main accused. After interrogating almost a hundred people, the SIT, led by SP Nazneen Bhasin, has arrested the owner of the tube-well where the rape was committed on charges of criminal conspiracy. Additionally, the vehicle in which the victim was abducted has also been recovered. The three identified accused, against whom an arrest warrant was issued on Saturday evening, are still at large, however.

Also on Sunday, the mother of the survivor revealed that some officials gave her a compensation cheque of Rs 2 Lakhs. She said, “I will return the cheque today, as I want justice and not money.It has been five days and none of the accused have been arrested till now”. Meanwhile, the FSL(Forensic Science Laboratory) reports have been fast tracked and is expected to be released soon.

The survivor is currently admitted in the Government hospital. On Saturday, the head of SIT Nazneen Bhasin met the rape survivor and said that her condition is stable and she is being kept under observation. Bhasin informed that the top priority of SIT is to nab the main accused, and what transpired and what was the delay. The team will be updating on the case.

READ I Poll-strategist Prashant Kishor Announces Political Entry From Bihar; Set To Join Nitish Kumar's JD(U)

The FIR has named Pankaj, Manish and Nishu as the three co-accused in the case. In the contents filed in the FIR, the phone numbers of all the three individuals were available, along with the other details, indicating how the cops did not react on time despite having all the needed information.

As per the FIR lodged at the Kanina police station, the victim was going to her coaching centre when two people came to meet her at a bus stand and gave her water to drink. Soon afterwards, she lost consciousness. After committing the heinous crime, the perpetrators left the victim near a bus stop in an unconscious state.

The survivor's mother while talking to Republic TV said, " They (rapists) took her to a well where there were more people.My daughter was left in the worst possible state. Modi said 'beti bachao, beti padhao'. How do we educate them? My daughter can't go anywhere. Give justice to my daughter.  Police is asking us to go here and there. The rapists are roaming around my house. No action has been taken yet. Where should we go. Nobody is listening to us. Neither the police nor the government.”

DO NOT MISS