Congressmen Shashi Tharoor has been summoned by the Patiala House Court as an 'accused' in the death case of his wife Sunanda Pushkar. The former Union Minister is expected to appear in Court on July 7 on the basis of a charge sheet that was filed by the Delhi Police naming him as an accused.
The couple got married in the year 2010 and Pushkar was found dead at the Leela Hotel in the national capital in January 2014.
1) Shashi Tharoor has been charged with abetting his wife Sunanda Pushkar's suicide. Sunanda was found dead in a five-star hotel in Delhi in 2014 and the police had presented certain emails that she wrote to Shashi Tharoor in the days leading to her death while preparing charge sheet.
2) In addition to the abetment charge, Tharoor has been accused of cruelty to his wife. Sources claim that Section 498A was allegedly included by the Delhi police after analysing the relationship between Tharoor and Sunanda.
3) As per sources, Sunanda Pushkar had emailed her husband that she had "lost her will to live" a few days before her death. In an alleged email dated January 8, nine days before Pushkar's death, she had allegedly written: "I have no desire to live...all I pray for is death."
4) The Delhi Police’s charge sheet allegedly mentions the details of their marriage. Sources also say that the charge sheet in the case refers to a troubled marriage between Tharoor and Pushkar.
5) The charge sheet, which names Tharoor, runs into over 200 pages and reportedly documents almost 3000 pages of evidence which were submitted by the Delhi Police to the Court. While the Delhi Police had filed an FIR under a case of Murder in 2015, the charge sheet was filed under charges of Abetment to Suicide.
6) In response to the court summons, Tharoor released an official statement in which he termed the charge sheet against him “preposterous” and “baseless” while ensuring full cooperation with the legal procedure in the case.
7) Vikas Pahwa, Shashi Tharoor’s counsel, had issued a statement saying, "Since the Magistrate has taken cognizance and summoned Dr Shashi Tharoor for 7th July, we shall be asking for a copy of the charge sheet and the documents relied upon by the prosecution. After going through, we shall decide our further course of action. Dr Tharoor will take all legal remedies available to him in law. Since no offences are made out and the prosecution case is absurd & preposterous and is contrary to various Judgments of SC, we shall take appropriate steps to deal with the Charge Sheet.”
8) While issuing summons to Tharoor, the court reportedly said, "There exists sufficient grounds to proceed against Tharoor for the commission of offences of Section 306 and 498 A of IPC.”
9) On 15th May 2018, when news broke that Tharoor was named in the charge sheet, he had tweeted terming the charge sheet as “preposterous” and one that he intended “to contest vigorously”
10) As per the developments, the court has also asked the prosecution to file a reply to Dr Subramanian Swamy's application.