While the entire country is still raging over the martyrdom of 40 CRPF soldiers who lost their lives at the gruesome terror attack led by the Pakistan-backed JeM terror outfit in Jammu & Kashmir's Pulwama district, Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala on Thursday issued a shocking statement politicising the attack and simultaneously gave Pakistan an alibi.
Addressing a press briefing in New Delhi, the Congress leader termed the Pulwama attack as a one of 'homegrown terror' and attacked the Prime Minister over his activities on the day of the suicide-bombing, juxtaposing political jibes with questions on the lapses of security precautions during the movement of the 2500-jawan strong CRPF convoy on that fateful day.
"Questions must be asked as to who provided the kilograms of RDX and MI4 carbines, rocket launchers to the homegrown so called terrorists," Surjewala said during the press briefing.
"Questions must be asked as to how an RDX laden vehicle came on to the sensitive national highway when there is a standard protocol in place. Questions must be asked as to how a security and intelligence failure happened where a clear-cut warning was ignored. Questions must be asked as why airlifting of the troops was not allowed when for one week they were stranded there. It is actually nationalistic these questions," he added.
These statement by the Congress party comes days after Indian security forces including CPRF, Army and J&K police addressed a joint press briefing where they spoke on an array of questions pertaining to the Pulwama terror attack. Announcing that the JeM terrorists who carried out attack were eliminated within 100 hours of the attack, Zulfiqar Hasan, IG, CRPF also spoke on the issue of security lapse at the highway where the incident took place. He said that the ROP (road opening party) was inspecting the area through which the CRPF convoy was passing.
“The ROP had fully secured the NH, but now we are changing the civilian traffic so the entire area will be cleared before any such movement.”
Meanwhile, the National Investigation Agency has officially registered the first FIR in the Pulwama terror attack on Wednesday and is probing the attack site in Pulwama.
Earlier on Tuesday, Pak Prime Minister Imran Khan issued his first statement, brazenly denying Pak involvement in the Pulwama terror attack, even as JeM terrorists took responsibility of the attack, saying that Pakistan will not benefit from the attack. In his statement, a rattled Imran Khan went onto make a 'solve things through dialogue' pitch as well.
"Indian government blamed Pakistan without evidence. What will Pakistan benefit from it, when Pakistan is at this stage. We all know starting a war is in the hands of humans, where it will lead us only God knows. This issue should be solved through dialogue," Khan had said.