Tabrez Ansari Case: Murder Charges Dropped Despite Lynching Video

General News

Murder charges against 11 men accused in the Tabrez Ansari lynching case have been dropped. Police say the autopsy report claimed he died of 'cardiac arrest'

Written By Yash Sanghvi | Mumbai | Updated On:

In a shocking development in the Jharkhand lynching case, the murder charges against 11 men accused in the lethal mob attack on 22-year-old Tabrez Ansari have been dropped. According to the autopsy report, the victim is said to have died of a cardiac arrest, the police said. Tabrez Ansari was brutally attacked in Jharkhand in June 2019 and after public outrage over the incident, a charge sheet was filed. A video of the brutal mob assault on him has been accessed.

Read| MP: Tribal woman beaten up by community for inter-caste relationship

Tabrez's uncle demands maximum punishment

In a statement issued to Republic TV, Tabrez's uncle Masrur Alam said,

"The lynching incident in Jharkhand, where Tabrez was beaten all night is the same reason why Tabrez is dead. The FIR was initially filed under Section 302 (Punishment for murder) but the police officers and administrations changed it to Section 304 (Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder). The court should see the case under Section 302 itself and the accused be handed out maximum punishments."

The details of the charge sheet first emerged in August, with the police saying they have filed charges of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, against 11 men accused in the attack on 24-year-old Tabrez Ansari. A twelfth accused was arrested on Saturday after he surrendered himself to the local authorities.

Read| Trinamool worker allegedly beaten to death in Bengal's Cooch Behar

'Post-mortem reports indicate cardiac arrest'

"Medical report did not give any supporting evidence for murder so that we charged (the accused) under culpable homicide not amounting to murder which is also equally punishable if not to the extent of murder sections," Karthik S, a senior police officer in Jharkhand, told the local media. The senior police officer stated that two separate post-mortems reportedly found the same thing- the victim had not died by injuries sustained from the attack, but rather due to a cardiac arrest. "Once we got the medical report, we asked for the second opinion from a higher level of experts. They also gave the same sort of opinion," Karthik S said.

On being questioned about complaints raised by the victim's family that said Tabrez's head showed signs of repeated trauma, the police superintendent said that their investigations were being carried out on the basis of medical reports. "You have to ask the medical experts. I am not expert in that case. When we had doubts, we went for a second opinion. The experts have given their opinion that he died of a (cardiac) arrest because stress - mental or physical ailment," he said. Two police officers have been suspended for failing to do their duties responsibly and were held accountable for Tabrez Ansari's death by a three-member team led by Deputy Commissioner of Seraikela-Kharsawan, Anjaneyullu Dodde.

Read| UP man beaten to death in police custody as cops turn mere spectators

Victim tied to a pole and beaten mercilessly

In a horrific video of the incident accessed by Republic, the victim can be seen tied to a pole and being beaten mercilessly for hours. Tabrez Ansari was handed over to the police only once he fell unconscious. After 4 days in police custody, he was taken to a hospital where he was declared brought dead. His family has alleged that despite appeals, police had not arranged for proper treatment, they were not even allowed to meet him, and that he died long before he was taken to a hospital. 
Read| Pakistan's Army denies 'state agencies' killed activist Mohammad Bilal Khan

Opposition attacks BJP:

By 2030, 40% Indians will not have access to drinking water