General News

ULFA-I Triggers Blast In Guwahati, Threatens Bengali Hindu Organizations

Written By Anirudha Bhakat | Mumbai | Published:

Hack:

  • The United Liberation Front of Asom-Independent (ULFA-I) triggered a low-intensity blast in Guwahati on the afternoon of October 13
  • Soon, after the blast, ULFA-I C-in-C Paresh Baruah called up the local news channels and claimed responsibility for the same

The United Liberation Front of Asom-Independent (ULFA-I) triggered a low-intensity blast in Guwahati on the afternoon of October 13. Four people sustained injuries in this blast. The blast took place near Sukleswar Ghat adjacent to the busy Fancy Bazaar.  The injured persons have been identified as Kalpajyoti Talukdar (23), Shanku Das (42), Binita Das (33), Saifuddin Ahmed (33).

Soon, after the blast, ULFA-I C-in-C Paresh Baruah called up the local news channels and claimed responsibility for the same. In a telephonic conversation with Republic TV's partner channel News Live's Chief Managing Editor Syed Zarir Hussain, Baruah said,

READ: 15 People Killed As Minibus Falls Into A Gorge In Jammu And Kashmir

“Yes it has been done by us. And actually, those injured are indigenous people, we have learnt so. Our motive was not that, our motive was to resist the Hindu Bengali organizations, who are conspiring against Assam despite living in Assam. They are protesting NRC, and we took this measures to resist them. In doing so there has been some technical effect and as a result of this technical effect, the bomb went off.”

Further threatening the Hindu Bengali organizations, Baruah said, “I want to inform that these Bengali organizations who have been working against the interest of Assamese community despite living in Assam should refrain from doing so in the future. If they don't, we will again do such activity in any part of Assam and target Bengali Hindu organizations, who are against NRC and are working against the interest of indigenous people.”

READ: 45 People Dead In Telangana As Bus Falls Into Gorge​​​​​​​

On the other hand, DGP of Assam Kuladhar Saikia said that even though ULFA-I has claimed responsibility, it is the duty of the police to investigate and find out and they are seriously doing their job. 

He also added that in view of Durga Puja security has been beefed up across the State and this blast is the handiwork of some anti-social elements who want to cast fear among the people. 

Meanwhile, the Bomb Squad of Assam Police, Indian Army, and Forensic Science Laboratory, Guwahati collected materials from the explosion site to ascertain as what explosive and device were being used in this blast. So far, there are doubts of ULFA-I using a new explosive device as the absence of splinter and smell of explosive in the site clearly indicates that it was not a grenade or IED.

DO NOT MISS