Unnao Rape Case: Supreme Court To Transfer All 5 Cases From U.P To New Delhi, Seeks Report From CBI

General News

In a massive development, the Supreme Court on Thursday has transferred all five cases filed in Unnao rape and accident case from Uttar Pradesh to New Delhi.

Written By Monica Aggarwal | Mumbai | Updated On:

In a massive development, the Supreme Court on Thursday has transferred all five cases filed in Unnao rape and accident case from Uttar Pradesh to New Delhi. The top court bench headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi has also ordered the CBI officer investigating the incident to be present in the court by 12 noon to brief the bench on the progress in the case. CJI Ranjan Gogoi has also sought the full details of the investigation in the multiple cases filed in the rape incident. 

The SC on Wednesday took suo moto cognisance of a letter written by the survivor and family of the Unnao rape case alleging threats from the man backed by main accused Uttar Pradesh MLA Kuldeep Sengar. It had also pulled up the Secretary General of the court over the delay in placing the letter before the Chief Justice, even as it was received on July 17.

Furthermore, while Solicitor General T Mehta has informed the CJI that the officers investigating the case are in Lucknow and would not be able to reach Delhi by 12 PM, CJI has refused to adjourn the matter for tomorrow, ie. Friday. The bench rejected Mehta's contention, saying the CBI director can gather the information of the cases on telephone and apprise the bench on Thursday.

"We are going to transfer all the cases. We will pass the order to this effect," said the bench, comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Aniruddha Bose.

READ | Unnao Rape Case: SC Takes Cognisance Of Survivor's Letter To CJI Alleging Threats, To Take Matter Up On Thursday

Unnao rape survivor writes to CJI

The 19-year-old rape survivor, in her letter to the CJI on July 12, had expressed apprehension of threat to her life. As per reports, a copy of the letter was also sent to the Allahabad High Court and to the Uttar Pradesh government authorities as well. The letter also claimed that some people have been threatening the family of the rape survivor and the men are allegedly associated with the BJP MLA. Signed by the girl, her mother and aunt, the letter stated that on July 7 few relatives of the BJP MLA Senger came to their house and threatened them.

Unnao rape survivor's accident

The Unnao rape survivor met with a car accident on Sunday in which two of her aunts died. She and her advocate suffered serious injuries after their car was hit by a speeding truck in Raebareli. Her family has claimed conspiracy behind the car crash. The 19-year-old woman was allegedly raped by BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar two years ago in 2017 at his residence in Unnao.

CBI books Kuldeep Senger and 10 others

On Wednesday, July 31, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered an FIR against suspended-BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar and 10 others in connection with the accident. Furthermore, the CBI also registered a case against 20 unknown persons under criminal conspiracy, murder, attempt to murder & criminal intimidation in the matter.

READ | Unnao Rape Survivor's Accident: Victim Still On Ventilator, Marginal Improvement In Condition, Says Doctor

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS