The union government has given its first response to the events in the Supreme Court on Thursday, where the hearing in the Ayodhya case was delayed till January 29, by which time a new 5-judge Constitution Bench will likely be formed owing to Justice UU Lalit recusing himself from the case.
Responding to this, MoS PMO Dr Jitendra Singh reiterated that the delay would cause no change in the government's position of waiting for the Supreme Court's verdict:
"I think it suffices to say what was said by PM Modi in his interview on New Year's day when he said we would all wait for the verdict of the court and then decide the further course of action - I think there's nothing to add to that", MoS PMO Dr Jitendra Singh said while speaking to reporters.
In his Jan 1 interview to ANI, PM Modi had said that his government would wait for the court's judgment and then make every effort to ensure that its manifesto promise of constructing a Ram Mandir at the Ram Janmabhoomi site in Ayodhya is fulfilled.
Speaking at the Republic Summit, Amit Shah had also spoken along similar lines, upholding the primacy of the judicial verdict and expressing the hope that if heard day-to-day, then a judgment could be forthcoming in as quick as ten days.
There is another school-of-thought, however, that has advised that the Prime Minister should bring about an ordinance to construct the Ram Mandir at the disputed site, as the Supreme Court is only hearing a land dispute.
Earlier on Wednesday, counsel Rajeev Dhawan had brought to the court's notice that Justice UU Lalit had earlier appeared as a lawyer in a related case, following which Justice Lalit said that he would recuse himself from hearing the case. The Chief Justice of India left the decision to Justice Lalit and also issued directions on translation of the voluminous documents related to the case.
Both RSS and VHP have expressed their dismay at what they are terming as 'justice delayed is justice denied'.