Fraud-accused jeweler Mehul Choksi, who on Tuesday issued a couple of video messages from Antigua to narrate his side of the story, said that he is ‘under media trial’ in his third video statement.
“I am certainly under the media trial. Till December there was no bad name and I was leading a company in India,” said Choksi.
Further questioning the media’s actions, Choksi said:
“If I was such a bad man as they are portraying, why was all the media running after me for business? I must ask this.”
He also said it hurts him badly when he listens to the use of words ‘fugitive and scamster’ against him.
“Also, when they say fugitive, scamster it hurts me very badly They should at least mention the word alleged. The media should verify the facts. So far, I wasn't well. I have just realised that I have to revert and give many answers as I am being made a soft target because I am in a small country,” said Choksi.
This video statement of Choksi came minutes after his second video appearance wherein he blamed the PNB for misinforming the agencies.
“Let me share with you exactly how the events happened. On around 29th of January, PNB complained that they detected a fraud in their branch regarding an LC & LoU for three companies which were Nirav Modi's companies. -One of the alleged people was myself. They started raiding my company because of the misinformation by the PNB,” said Choksi.
While further accusing the PNB of spreading misinformation, Choksi said:
“I raise the question to the PNB that why this happened and why did they name me? PNB said that in their old KYC of 95 or 93 my name was there and that is why they carried on the raids. I had retired from this company in the year 2000 and they misinformed the agencies.”
Earlier in the day, in his first video message, Mehul Choksi that the charges levelled against him by the ED are baseless. He also said that he won’t surrender as he hadn’t received a reply from the regional passport office as to why his passport was revoked.