Absconding jeweler Mehul Choksi on Tuesday evening made his second appearance on camera in a single day from Antigua to share his version of the sequence of events that led to the ED, CBI raids on his companies. Not just that, Choksi even blamed the PNB for misinforming the agencies.
“Let me share with you exactly how the events happened. On around 29th of January, PNB complained that they detected a fraud in their branch regarding an LC & LoU for three companies which were Nirav Modi's companies. -One of the alleged people was myself. They started raiding my company because of the misinformation by the PNB,” said Choksi.
While further accusing the PNB of spreading misinformation, Choksi said:
“I raise the question to the PNB that why this happened and why did they name me? PNB said that in their old KYC of 95 or 93 my name was there and that is why they carried on the raids. I had retired from this company in the year 2000 and they misinformed the agencies.”
Choksi in his second on-camera appearance also said that he couldn’t pay his employees because all the bank accounts were frozen and that the employees left because of ‘terror’
“The raids began on the 2nd of February. They went on till 14th or 15th of February. They virtually seized all the inventories in the factories and the showrooms. Also my bank accounts were frozen. All my employees left the company because there was a terror. My Server was seized, we realised we wouldn't be able to pay to our employees as the accounts were frozen. Of course, I was not in India, was having was having my medical procedure at that time. They nearly seized 5 to 6 crores of my merchandise, properties and everything. Three agencies were raiding me at that time, income tax, CBI, ED,” said Choksi.
Choksi also alleged that even after the PNB said that they want to sit and resolve the matter, the raids never stopped.
“I asked my company that they must speak to PNB about it. We wrote a letter to the PNB, we got an answer on the 13th February that would like to sit down and resolve the matter. I was just surprised as the raids never stopped. They seized nearly 5 thousand crores of my merchandise and the raids never stopped. Just after 4-5 days, I got a new FIR. It was surprising, just because they recovered merchandise from my company,” said Choksi.
Earlier in the day, in his first video message, Mehul Choksi that the charges levelled against him by the ED are baseless. He also said that he won’t surrender as he hadn’t received a reply from the regional passport office as to why his passport was revoked.