After DIG Roopa was unceremoniously shunted out of her post and transferred to the Road and Traffic Safety department for exposing the privileges given to AIADMK interim general secretary VK Sasikala in Bengaluru central jail, a video accessed by Republic TV shows Sasikala leisurely walking around in the prison wearing a silk Salwar Kameez, while carrying a designer bag.
The video drew sharp reactions from Sasikala's political adversaries, who claimed that it vindicated Roopa's stand and highlights the gross violation of law and the VIP treatment given to Sasikala inside the prison.
"This is a gross violation of prison rules and is giving more weightage to what the DIG had claimed in her report," exclaimed Sathyan, aide of former Tamil Nadu CM O Panneerselvam.
BJP leader Surya also expressed shock over the video and said that the issue will be taken up in Parliament.
Meanwhile, Sasikala supporters continued to back the jailed leader and have categorically dismissed the video, stating that it wasn't "clear enough".
"The video is very vague, it does not appear to be her," Kishoreswamy, Sasikala'a aide told Republic TV.
Republic TV has also accessed the second report filed by former DIG D Roopa, in which she has highlighted the special privileges given to Sasikala.
Here are some of the key points from Roopa's report:
1. She has claimed that a special meeting room has been created for Sasikala, in which a revolving chair for her and 4 chairs and a table have been provided. A white curtain for privacy has also been provided.
2. Has asked why CCTV camera 8, which records visitors interaction with convicts, doesn't have any video of Sasikala's visitors. She says it's because she has been given a place on the first floor.
3. Had asked for all videos on all CCTV cameras to be preserved and a written order to be given to officials to not delete them.
4. Not to destroy CCTV footage from camera 89, which records footage from Abdul Karim Telgi's cell.
5. CCTV cameras to be installed inside or outside Sasikala's cell
6. Not to destroy evidence of special kitchen provided for Sasikala
7. The video of Roopa's visit to jail was shot on a prison camera and DIG Rao had instructed the SP not to provide it to Roopa. She asks for the evidence to be preserved.