In a shocking statement, the Deputy chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Keshav Prasad Maurya has called the Meerut exodus a 'minor incident'.
During a media briefing when answering a question about the reports of an exodus of Hindu families.
"I believe there was a minor incident. If someone broke the law and order, there will stringent investigation," he said.
As per sources, there has been a migration of Hindu families from Meerut's Prahlad Nagar owing to hooliganism. The sources say that the residents have claimed that women have been harassed by certain anti-social elements repeatedly and reportedly gun firing can be heard during night time. The same was reiterated by UP Labour Minister Sunil Bharala who spoke to seven families in the area.
Republic TV also accessed exclusive, chilling CCTV visuals which showed the hooliganism of men on two-wheelers, raising gunshots in the locality. The CCTV visuals accessed from June 24 show men riding on two-wheelers with guns in their hands. In a video, they can be seen firing gunshots in the air in broad daylight.
Earlier on Saturday, the District Magistrate has outrightly denied the exodus of Hindu families from the area owing to the threat from the gang and said that it was merely a traffic issue.
"There is no such situation. There was a traffic issue, and now we have put pickets, begun screenings and checking everyone. In a couple of days people wil see the difference. We ae giving challans to those who break the law. Things will improve very soon. There is no need for anyone to be afraid. People of every profession and eduction stream can go about work freely. We will also put CCTC cameras by evening. We have installed eight cameras. We are screening everyone. They will be caught at the city square," DM Sanjay Panday said.