The Delhi Police on Monday named Kanhaiya Kumar, Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattacharya as main-accused in the 2016 JNU sedition case, along with seven other Kashmir residents from JNU, Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia Millia Islamia.
1. The following have been named as main-accused:
3 JNU students charged with sedition and criminal conspiracy:
7 Kashmiri residents (from JNU, AMU and Jamia Milia Islamia) have also been charged with sedition:
2. The chargesheet, which ran into 1200 pages, was carried into the Patiala House court complex in a metal trunk by two persons.
3. The Delhi Police has filed charges under the following sections of the IPC:
4. Apart from the ten main-accused, 36 persons have been kept in column 12 of the chargesheet which is for people who have been interrogated but not chargesheeted.
These include Shehla Rashid, as well as CPI MP D Raja's daughter Aparajita.
5. The Delhi Police's investigation concluded that the video footage from the JNU campus was genuine and it is on the basis of this footage, which has been forensically authenticated by the CSFL, as well as statements from students and security guards, that those accused have been chargesheeted. Ten witnesses served as eye-witnesses.
6. The presence of the seven Kashmiri residents was established through video clips. This process caused a delay in the filing of the chargesheet.
7. Exclusive details of the slogans that were allegedly raised at the JNU campus have been accessed from the chargesheet. Slogans included:
8. Following sources confirming to Republic TV ahead of the chargesheet being filed that Kanhaiya Kumar is named as a main-accused, he said the following:
"I don't have any information yet but if its true that chargesheet has been filed, then I would like to congratulate PM Modi that at least after 3 years, chargesheet has been filed. We will not oppose this. There is a political vendetta behind this. As they (BJP) failed in every promise, they just want to show all their colors. This is a conspiracy. Why did they take 3 years to file it (chargesheet)? They just want this conspiracy to add in Modi's rally. They are just making conspiracy to spread lies. I want a speedy trial in this case and an end to this case. We will cooperate in every thing. Even if they will jail us, we will not get afraid of them. They should be serious in this matter."
9. Around 95 witnesses will give testimony against the accused. It is likely that the Patiala House Court will take cognisance of the chargesheet on Tuesday.
10. The matter relates to the events of February 9, 2016, when a programme was organised at the JNU premises to protest against the hanging of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and Maqbool Bhat, during which anti-national slogans were raised. Kanhaiya Kumar and others had been arrested and later released on bail by the Delhi High Court.