Hours after Delhi police nabbed Shahrukh, the gunman who had opened fire during the violence in northeast Delhi, Ajit Kumar Singla, Additional Commissioner of Police, informed that Shahrukh has claimed that he was not a part of any conspiracy and has no past criminal record.
Singla stated that after the incident, Shahrukh was on the run and kept changing locations. He was finally arrested from Shamli in Delhi. He added that the gunman will now be presented in court and the investigation will follow.
Addressing the media on Friday, the ACP said, "He was a part of the protests. After that incident, he kept moving in Delhi in his own vehicle and then drove towards Punjab and was arrested from Shamli. He will be presented in court now. The pistol is from Munger. One of his friends works at a factory from whom he had bought the gun."
Furthermore, he added, "He (Shahrukh) has stated that when the protests were going on and when the stone-pelting began, he got agitated and fired in the heat of the moment. We have not found any criminal background yet. A case has been found against his father on grounds of fake currency and narcotics. He has no record. What we know so far is that he runs a factory of socks, likes modelling and making TikTok videos."
"He has denied being a part of the conspiracy but we are still investigating," said Singla.
The Delhi Police Crime Branch on Tuesday arrested Shahrukh, the man in a red t-shirt who had opened fire at police during violence in northeast Delhi on February 24 from Uttar Pradesh. Shahrukh was caught on camera threatening a policeman with a gun on February 24, 2020, in Jafrabad's Maujpur area, one of the violence-hit areas of northeast Delhi. Shahrukh shot multiple rounds and also pointed the gun at a policeman's face.
Violence in the national capital that began on February 23, Sunday, claimed 47 lives and left as many as 190 people injured, as per official figures on February 27 evening. The violence reportedly started as two groups clashed over the amended citizenship laws and it soon turned into a communal riot.
Paramilitary forces were called in and on February 26 and the Delhi High Court had stated that it "cannot let another 1984 happen." Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had taken to Twitter and urged people to maintain calm and peace, meeting on Tuesday and discussing the riots.