- The Budget session of the Parliament kickstarted on Monday with the speech of President Ram Nath Kovind.
- President Kovind addressed a joint sitting of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
- WATCH President Kovind's complete address in the video above
The Budget session of the Parliament kickstarted on Monday with the speech of President Ram Nath Kovind. President Kovind addressed a joint sitting of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, which marked the beginning of the Budget Session 2018.
WATCH | Budget 2018: Prime Minister Narendra Modi Pushes For Triple Talaq Bill Ahead Of Budget Session
The Muslim Women's (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017 related to triple talaq, the Codes of Wages Bill, 2017, Rights of Children to Free and Compulsory Education, 2017 are among the important bills that will be tabled for discussion and passage. During his address, President Kovind expressed hope for the bill on triple talaq to get enacted. He said,
"My government has introduced the bill on triple talaq in the Parliament. I hope the Parliament will pass it soon. After the bill is enacted, the Muslim women can live a life of dignity and without fear"
READ | Budget Session 2018: 28 Bills In Lok Sabha, 39 Listed For Rajya Sabha
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, the amendment in the Maternity Benefit Act, Jan Dhan Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana, Saubhagya Yojana, Atal Pension Yojana, and Bharat Net Pariyojana are few of the topics which were taken up by President Kovind during his addressed.
Highlights of President Kovind's address:
- It is our duty that when we celebrate Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary in 2019 we pay tribute to him by making our country completely clean: President Kovind
- Parliament approved a bill granting working woman paid maternity leave of 26 weeks: President Kovind
- The highest priority of my Government is to remove various difficulties faced by farmers and to raise their standard of living. The schemes of my Government are not only removing their hardships but also reducing the expenditure incurred by them on farming: President Kovind
- My Government has introduced insurance schemes for poor at a premium of 1 rupee per month and 90 paise per day. Over 18 crore poor have been covered under the ‘PM Suraksha Bima Yojana’ and ‘PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana’ and about Rs. 2 thousand crore has been paid out as claims: President Kovind
Committed to “Empowerment and not Appeasement”, my Government is making intensive efforts for economic, social and educational empowerment of the minorities: President Kovind
- ‘Aadhaar’ has helped in securing the rights of the poor by eliminating middlemen. At present, Digital Payments are being carried out in more than 400 schemes of the Government: President Kovind
- Service to humanity is an integral part of India’s cultural heritage. Because of these values, India has always remained the First Responder in times of crises, such as the earthquake in Nepal, flood calamity in Sri Lanka and drinking water crisis in Maldives.: President Kovind
- A sustained debate is required on the subject of simultaneous elections and all political parties need to arrive at a consensus on this issue: President Kovind
The Budget session of the Parliament will be conducted from January 29 to April 6, with the first phase to be held from January 29 to February 9 and the second phase from March 5 to April 6. The Finance Minister will present the Union Budget 2018 for the fiscal year 2018-19 on February 1.
WATCH President Kovind's complete address in the video above