Update at 12.00 pm: In the latest development in the horrific Rewari gangrape case, the police SIT that was constituted on Saturday, almost three days after the incident, has made its first arrest -- though not of the main accused. After interrogating almost a hundred people, the SIT, led by SP Nazneen Bhasin, has arrested the owner of the tube-well where the rape was committed on charges of criminal conspiracy. Additionally, the vehicle in which the victim was abducted has also been recovered. The three identified accused, against whom an arrest warrant was issued on Saturday evening, are still at large, however. Also on Sunday, the mother of the victim revealed that some officials gave her a compensation cheque of Rs 2 Lakhs. She said, “I will return the cheque today, as I want justice and not money.It has been five days and none of the accused have been arrested till now”. Meanwhile, the FSL(Forensic Science Laboratory) reports have been fast tracked and is expected to be released soon.
The police has put out pictures of the three identified accused against whom warrants have been filed. These are the same three who had been named in the FIR. Further, amid reports that one of the accused, Pankaj, is an armyman, the Army has issued a statement, with Lt Gen Mathews saying: "If an army person is involved in rape, I have no doubt that the army person should be booked for rape. And the army will facilitate that it will happen."
While a SIT had been formed earlier on Saturday, Haryana Chief Minister Khattar has so far been ducking all questions aimed at him, despite being asked about it twice on Saturday, and once, even choosing to speak about the Swachhata Hi Seva campaign instead.
Heaping even further damnation on Khattar, even as residents of the rape survivor's village have begun protests seeking justice for her, the village's ex-Sarpanch has made a startling claim. Abhay Singh, while speaking to Republic TV, said that he had spotted one of the accused at the incident spot after it happened and went to inform the police, but the Police said that they didn't have the required security to make the arrest as their force had been diverted to a function of the Chief Minister. As a result of this, the accused managed to abscond from the location.
Further, a BJP MLA in the Khattar-government made an abhorrent statement about rapes in the context of the Rewari gangrape. Premlata, MLA from Uchana Kalan in the state, attributed rapes to unemployment, saying, "Youth who do not have employment get frustrated and commit such (rapes) crimes"
Earlier, Republic TV had spoken to the medical superintendent of the government hospital where the victim has been admitted, who revealed that when she was first brought in, she was administered only basic first aid and discharged because he didn't think it was a big matter -- this despite her filing an FIR and stating that 12 men had raped her. However, she was admitted once more due to abdominal pain, but not before being refused admission at a private hospital because the medico-legal certificate issued by the government hospital was allegedly incomplete.
Additionally, Republic TV once again spoke to the victim's mother, who said that the SP and magistrate came to their house around midnight, woke up and recorded the statement of her daughter at a time when she was barely able to talk, despite the requests from the family to record the statement in the morning. She (the victim) hadn't even been able to eat food, her mother said.