- BJP Chief Amit Shah on Monday delivered his first speech in the Rajya Sabha
- During the course of his address, the BJP National President touched upon an array of topics
- The speech marks his first address to the Rajya Sabha where he was elected last year from Gujarat.
BJP Chief Amit Shah on Monday delivered his first speech in the Rajya Sabha. The national president initiated the motion of thanks to the President’s address in the Upper House of the Parliament after it reconvened at 2 pm. During the course of his address, the BJP National President touched upon an array of topics, the list of which includes - Congress' dynasty politics, efforts to help eradicate poverty, BJP's achievements in electricity and healthcare sector, unemployment, GST, and others. He also raised the issues of Congress blocking the OBC Commission and Triple Talaq Bills in Rajya Sabha.
READ: राज्य सभा: सदन में पहली बार अमित शाह ने दिया भाषण, कहा- पकोड़ा बनाना कोई शर्म की बात नहीं
Both houses of Parliament convened on Monday after finance minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union budget 2018-2019 on February 1. The speech marks his first address to the Rajya Sabha where he was elected last year from Gujarat.
Recounting the work of his government in the last three years, the BJP chief said,
"Prime Minister Modi ensured electricity in 16,000 villages of the 18,000 that didn't have it when the BJP came to power in 2014.This government dreamt of giving every citizen a house. Government reduced prices of several medicines to benefit the poor," he said.
Highlights of his address:
- "For the first time after independence, a non-Congress party was given mandate by the public and it was BJP government led by PM Modi."
- "Making and selling pakodas is not a shameful thing. Someone is working hard and earning his or her daily bread"
- "During the last government, the corruption was rampant and there was an environment of fear in the country"
- "By 2022 every poor will be given free electricity"
"I was just reading Chidambaram's tweet. I believe it is better to work hard by selling pakodas rather than be unemployed."
- "I am not denying the unemployment. But this is after you ruled the country for 55 years. Why couldnt Congress find the solution to this"
"Those living in Lutyens Zone will not understand the importance of toilets in every house"
- "The country saw a lot of votebank politics and it was difficult to ask someone to leave something. After Lal Bahadur Shashtri's request to fast, it was Prime Minister Narendra Modi who asked people to give up on something for the poor people"
- "GST is one of the greatest reforms BJP government has done"
- "I know some people will make noise about this but we have decided to call Ayushmaan Bharat as Namo healthcare now."
"There was instability in the country since 30 years, but in 2014 people of the country crushed this notion"
- "It has been three years since the BJP government has been in power. Our government has done many things for the upliftment of the poor & has made many historic changes"
- "Our government is determined to uplift the poor, it is determined to come to the aid of the farmer to help them in every step"