- Former Health Minister JP Nadda has been appointed as Bharatiya Janata Party working president.
- The low-key profile leader from Himachal Pradesh was in line for the post of BJP President after it came to power in 2014, but due to Amit Shah's stellar performance, he was chosen to be at the helm of affairs at the time
Former Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Jagat Prakash Nadda has been appointed as the Working President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) at the parliamentary party meeting on 17 June. He will take up the role even as Amit Shah - newly appointed Union Home Minister - will continue as BJP party President till the assembly elections till later this year.
READ: ''One Lakh People Benefited Under Ayushman Bharat Scheme'' Says JP Nadda
The BJP leader from Himachal Pradesh was in line for the post of party President after it came to power in 2014, but due to Amit Shah's stellar performance, he was chosen to be at the helm of affairs at the time.
Below are some of his achievements you should know about:
- In 1993, during the Himachal Pradesh assembly polls, the former Health Minister entered the electoral politics and won from Bilaspur at the peak of anti-BJP wave in the state. Since other prominent BJP leaders lost elections at the time, he was made the leader of Opposition in the assembly
- In 1998, he won the Bilaspur seat and was made the Health Minister in the Prem Dhumal government. He lost the seat in 2003 but bounced back in 2007, and was again inducted into the cabinet
- He served as the General Secretary of the BJP in 2010 as chosen by the then party president Nitin Gadkari, who is currently the Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways in the Modi Cabinet 2.0
- Known for his managerial skills, he was made a member of the BJP parliamentary board, the highest decision-making body of the party and also a member of the Central election committee that takes the final decision for both Lok Sabha and Assembly polls.
- In 2017, Nadda emerged as the front-runner to the top post of the state of Himachal Pradesh.
READ: As BJP Appoints JP Nadda As New Working President, Here Are All The BJP Presidents So Far
JP Nadda is the 11th President of the national party (though he is the first Working President, as per records) as he takes over the reins from Amit Shah. The former Union Minister was a member of Rajya Sabha from Himachal Pradesh and Parliamentary Board Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party. Earlier, he was a Minister in Himachal Pradesh Government.