- Narendra Modi has taken the oath-of-office as the Prime Minister of the country for the second time
- On May 31, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank was appointed as Minister of Human and Resource Development
Narendra Modi has taken the oath-of-office as the Prime Minister of the country for the second time, at the grand swearing-in ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday in which a number of other NDA leaders also took oath as ministers. Among the new faces who made it to the ministerial positions is a long time parliamentarian Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank'. On May 30, he took the oath of for the Cabinet Minister in Modi's Cabinet 2.0. He was Chief Minister of Uttarakhand from 2009 to 2011. and after 2011, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank remained in the political wilderness of sorts for eight years.
On May 31, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank was appointed as Minister of Human and Resource Development. This ministry was earlier under Prakash Javadekar.
Here's all about the new Cabinet Minister in Modi 2.0
- He is one leader who won every election he contested during these years but did not get any ministerial berth in his state or at the Centre. Nishank won the Doiwala assembly seat in 2012. Two years later, he vacated the seat to contest from Haridwar in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, defeating the then chief minister Harish Rawat's wife Renuka by 1.7 lakh votes.
- Nishank was an MLA from Karnaprayag for three terms and also served as the state cabinet minister for Uttaranchal development in the Kalyan Singh cabinet and the Minister for Cultural Fulfillment and Endowments in Ram Prakash Gupta’s cabinet. After Uttarakhand was born, he was given charge of 12 departments, including the departments of finance, tax, revenue and water.
- In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank retained the seat, defeating Ambrish Kumar of the Congress by a bigger margin of 2.59 lakh votes. He has been elected to the state assembly five times, first in undivided Uttar Pradesh and later Uttarakhand from 1991 to 2014.
- He is also a prolific Hindi writer with 36 works to his credit, of which 10 have been translated into other languages. His works include novels, short stories, poems and travelogues. He holds a PhD degree from Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University.
- He is said to be close to BJP president Amit Shah and Nitin Gadkari. He is also known for proximity to yoga guru Ramdev. According to a survey conducted by the Association for Democratic Reforms, he asked 389 questions in the Lok Sabha, the maximum among the five MPs from the state
- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank hails from Pinani village in Pauri, a district that has produced personalities like Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat, army chief Bipin Rawat and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval.
READ: Modi Cabinet 2.0: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat appointed to head the new Ministry of Jal Shakti in the Modi Government 2.0