Politics

Petitioner In Maratha Reservation Case Attacked Outside Bombay High Court

Written By Dinesh Mourya | Mumbai | Published:

Hack:

  • Even though Maratha reservation has become a reality in Maharashtra, it seems like the controversies are not going to end soon
  • On Monday, a petitioner, who filed a PIL in the Maratha reservation case at the Bombay High Court, was attacked by an unknown person.

Even though Maratha reservation has become a reality in Maharashtra, it seems like the controversies are not going to end soon. On Monday, a petitioner, who filed a Public Interest Litigation( PIL) in the Maratha reservation case at the Bombay High Court, was attacked by an unknown person.

After the hearing in the high court, petitioner Gunratna Sadavarte came out and was speaking to the electronic media outside the high court. After a few minutes, a person in a white shirt came and attacked him. This person was claiming to be a Maratha supporter. In the aftermath of the attack, Sadavarte & other lawyers also hit back and trashed him. Within few seconds, the police took the attacker into their custody.   

However, the identity of the attacker is still not clear yet. Police are interrogating him. 

The incident has sent a shock wave among everyone present at the high court, which was guarded by heavy security, since such an incident never took place in the past. However, after the incident, other lawyers have also demanded security for the Maratha case petitioners.

READ: Sharad Pawar Cites Amit Shah To Slam Devendra Fadnavis Over 'Maratha Quota'

Earlier in winter assembly session, Maratha reservation bill was unanimously passed in both the house. Later, Maharashtra governor C. Vidyasagar Rao also signed the bill. However, within two days of the bill, a PIL was filed against Maratha reservation in the Bombay High Court.

The petitioner claims that 16 per cent reservation to Maratha is unconstitutional:

By giving such kind of reservations to Marathas in economically & socially backward community category, Maharashtra government has violated Supreme Court’s order stating reservation should not more than 50 percent. 

In Maharashtra, the reservation was already 52 per cent, and with an additional 16 per cent reservations to Marathas now, the total percentage of reservation in the state rose to 68 per cent. Maharashtra government has already filed a caveat petition in the Supreme Court. 

READ: Devendra Fadnavis Will Have To Defy Amit Shah's Stand To Grant Maratha Quota: Sharad Pawar

Meanwhile, all the political parties are in favour of Maratha reservations as the population of Marathas in the state is more than 30 per cent, given the fact that Maratha voters play a crucial role in every election. 

The Bombay High Court has asked Maharashtra government to file its reply on the PIL filed against the reservation. Next date of hearing in the case is December 19.

DO NOT MISS