- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday addressed the House in his reply to the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address
- His speech was repeatedly interrupted by members of Opposition parties, who were seeking a special status for Andhra Pradesh.
- During the course of his address, PM Modi slammed the method of dynastic politics being adapted by the Rahul Gandhi-led Congress party
Amidst increasing uproar and sloganeering, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday addressed the House in his reply to the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address.
His speech was repeatedly interrupted by members of Opposition parties, who were seeking a special status for Andhra Pradesh. During the course of his address, PM Modi slammed the method of dynastic politics being adapted by the Rahul Gandhi-led Congress party and further blamed the party for partition, says 'you divided the nation for selfish gains.'
"We cannot forget how the Congress insulted Shri Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, a proud son of Andhra Pradesh. They humiliated him. Nobody in India needs lessons on democracy from the Congress Party," he said.
Highlighting that modern-day India is in the 'era of honesty'; PM Modi said,
'Today, people who served as Chief Ministers are in jail. However powerful one was, if one has been corrupt, that person will be punished. We are in an era of honesty'
The Prime Minister who ignored the disruptions stumped the Opposition by asking, "Who says democracy was a gift from Nehru?"
Here are the live updates and highlights of the PM Modi’s mega address in Parliament:
- Directly taking on the Congress party's first family, Prime Minister Modi asked: "Who says democracy was a gift from Nehru?"
- Stumping the shouting brigade, PM Modi said "If Patel was PM, there would be no PoK"
- "Governments will come and go, India will stay," the PM said
- In aggressive mode, PM Modi also attacked dynastic politics of the Congress party.
"For decades, one party devoted all their energies to serving one family. The interests of the nation were looked over just for the interests of one family," says PM Modi
- PM Modi said, "When we speak about creating new states, we remember the manner in which Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ji created Uttarakhand, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh. He showed how farsighted decision making is done"
- 'NPA scam under Congress government's rule,' the Prime Minister added. He said,
"The workings of our previous Government are responsible for the NPA mess. They are 100% responsible and nobody else. The banking policies of the previous Governments were not proper. Middlemen were happy, the country was suffering"
- PM Modi said, "I see that whenever we are criticised by select Opposition parties, the substance is lacking. They go back to say- when we were in power. This is the same party that divided India"
- He further said,
"When our Government took office in 2014, the chorus from the opposition was - Modi will scrap Aadhaar but when we made Aadhaar more effective in terms of enabling better and effective service delivery, suddenly the opposition began opposing Aadhaar"
- "How can one of the leaders say India got a democracy due to Pandit Nehru and the Congress Party? Is this their reading of India's history? What arrogance is this," PM Modi asked during the course of the explosive speech.
- "India did not get democracy due to Pandit Nehru, as Congress wants us to believe. Please look at our rich history. There are many examples of rich democratic traditions that date back centuries ago. Democracy is integral to this nation and is in our culture," PM Modi reiterated.
- "When Rajiv Gandhi landed in Hyderabad, how did he behave with a Congress leader. He humiliated a big leader, who did not belong to a privileged background"
- Slamming the newly elected Congress president, PM Modi said,
"In December, did we witness an 'election' or coronation for the post of Congress President? One youngster raised his voice about this as well"
- PM Modi highlighted, "The NDA Government has changed the work culture in the nation. Projects are not only thought about well but also executed in a timely manner"
- While speaking on the upcoming elections in Karnataka, PM Modi said, "the approvals by the B.S. Yeddyurappa Government in Karnataka made it possible to work quickly on the rail line. We do not bother who is the local MP or MLA, which party they belong to. We serve the nation and care for 125 crore Indians"
- In an aggressive and heart-hitting strike, the Prime Minister said,
"When the corrupt and middlemen are out of work, obviously the Congress will be unhappy"
- "Our government had the opportunity to prepare an aviation policy that focuses on smaller cities, towns so that more Indians can fly," PM Modi said during his powerful address.
- The Prime Minister further highlighted,
"India's middle class desires good education facilities, affordable housing, good infrastructure. They want 'Ease of Living' which we are committed to providing"
- "The nation's army was fighting in Doklam but leaders of one party preferred to meet Chinese officials. The same party questions the army on surgical strikes," PM Modi said during the course of his address.
- PM Modi concluded his speech by reiterating that,
'We have to create a new India. Let us work together to fulfil the dreams of the people'