Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was inducted into Congress as the party's General Secretary for Uttar Pradesh (East) ahead of the Lok Sabha polls on Wednesday.
While the move was celebrated in Congress, the BJP has said that it shows that Rahul Gandhi has failed as party president.
Here's what Republic's Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami had to say on the matter:
Good evening and welcome. Priyanka Gandhi has got a triple promotion to the power of a million on her entry in politics and she has become General Secretary of the Congress, one notch below Rahul Gandhi. Here are my 5 inputs on this development:
1. Without doubt, it is an acknowledgement that Rahul Gandhi in every single index is an absolute and abject failure. He may try to position her as an equal to Jyotiraditya Scindia but the one thing that both she and Jyotiraditya Scindia have in common is that they are seen as far more competent, able and popular than Rahul himself.
2. Rahul may want to restrict her role to Eastern UP, but it is a known fact that he has been wanting to push back and restrict her entry, but across the Congress, she is already been seen as a better bet than her brother.
3. The proposal to bring her into a prominent role had been rejected by Rahul himself a couple of years ago. And so obviously there is pressure and desperation to bring her in now. The Congress knows it is not working out. Nobody wants to be with the Congress.
4. What Ms Vadra must realise is that the Vadra overhang is massive. Let there be no doubt about the Robert Vadra factor.
5. Priyanka Gandhi Vadra will now have to declare whether she agrees with, knew about and now that she knows whethere she approves of the various dubious dealings of her husband Robert Vadra. She can't play martyr about something as fundamentally nepotistic and corrupt as the activities as those of her husband. Priyanka Gandhi has to tell the world whether she approves of the dubious activities of her husband Robert Vadra.