David Warner Leaves Innings Midway After Being Sledged, Says Reports

Cricket News

David Warner stormed off the pitch after being sledged at by a Western Suburbs bowler during a Grade A Australian domestic match.

Written By Digital Desk | Mumbai | Updated On:

Banned Australian cricketer David Warner who has previously earned a bad reputation for his involvement in the in-famous ball-tampering incident, has courted controversy yet again, during a Grade A match between Randwick-Petersham and Western Suburbs on Saturday.

The swashbuckling Randwick-Petersham batsman who is currently serving a 12-month ban imposed by Cricket Australia, stormed off the pitch after being sledged by a Western Suburbs bowler.

The incident took place when Warner was nearing his 30s after his side had won the toss and decided to bat first. According to a spectator present at the Sydney local cricket ground, Warner reportedly told the umpire "I'm removing myself from the game", despite not being dismissed.

However, the Australian who is also well-known for his sledging antics, was back at the crease after some convincing from his team-mates and the permission of the West Suburbs players. 

According to the rule book, a batsman is unable to return to the pitch unless they are retired hurt. Though, the Western Suburbs players were kind enough to let the controversial batsman complete his innings. The opposition was made later made to pay the price as Warner went on to smash a brilliant century.

READ: ''It Was A Serious WTF Moment'': Former Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland On Ball-tampering Fiasco

The incident comes a day after former Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland expressed his regret over the infamous ball tampering incident that sent shockwaves across the cricketing fraternity earlier in March.

The incident occurred on the second day of the second test between South and Africa, which led to the ban of former skipper Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner from international cricket for a period of one year. Youngster Cameron Bancroft, who was caught on camera rubbing the surface of the ball with sandpaper, was handed a nine-month ban for his role in the incident.

Then-coach Darren Lehmann resigned and Sutherland eventually chose to step down from his position after coming under sustained pressure. Speaking to ESPNCricinfo on his last day in-charge, Sutherland admitted it was 'serious WTF moment' for him and wished he had acted in time 

By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water