- On April 1, the social media handle of ICC went on an overdrive and announced plethora of changes concerning Test cricket
- The legendary way to determine who will bat and bowl first - Toss - will now be replaced by a poll on social media, where the home fans will have the final say
- Though, the changes seem good to the eye, the netizens took no time in coming to a conlusion that the innovations were relased on April Fools Day
The cricket fans, who still consider Test cricket as the ultimate format in the sport, have a reason to celebrate as the sport's governing body has come up with new set of innovations which could take the format to a whole different level.
In a series of posts on social media website Instagram, the cricket's governing body announced eight changes to the Test format, which will begin when the ICC Test Championship starts.
- In order to make the sport more appealing to those on social media, players will be having their names and their Instagram handles on the back of their shirt.
- The legendary way to determine who will bat and bowl first - Toss - will now be replaced by a poll on social media, where the home fans will have the final say.
- There will also be breather for the players who feel the heat as the ICC has announced that should the temperature reach 35 degree celsius, players will have the options to wear shorts.
- Further, in order to bring the game ever so close to those watching it on their screens, the commentators will be allowed to be on the field during play.
- Also, the fielding team will have a chance to grab two wickets in one play, as the ICC has allowed that even after a catch is completed, the fielding team can complete a run-out should the batsman be out of his crease.
- Now runs will also matter in Test format, especially during the Day/Night games as the ICC has brought up a rule that runs scored in evening session will be doubled.
- Last, but not the least, ICC says that if the World Test championship ends in level, team with most away runs will win it.
While the changes seem good to the eye, the netizens took no time in coming to a conlusion that the innovations were relased on April Fools Day.