After 'Justice for Kashmir' banner flew over the British skies during the India-Sri Lanka World Cup 2019 match on Saturday, reports of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) raising the issue with the ICC circulated, following which the ICC has registered a complaint with the West Yorkshire police about the brazen act. ICC however denied having received any written complaint from the BCCI.
"We have made a police complaint with West Yorkshire to find out who all have been behind this incident. But we haven't received any written complaint from BCCI so far. Yes, one senior BCCI official expressed his concern and we have assured that ICC will do whatever be could be possible." an ICC top official told Republic TV.
The organizer, Fahim Kayani, responsible for flying the banner in a telephonic conversation with Republic TV admitted that the Britain-based Kashmiri organization was 'pro-Pakistan' because he claimed that Pakistan was the "only country on an international level who plead a case for the people of Kashmir."
The organizer further said that there are rich businessmen supporting him and that thousands of pounds were spent for this act.
He said, "This is a Kashmiri organization. Majorities of Kashmiris are pro-Pakistani. We are not anti-Pakistan. Pakistan is ready to demilitarize Kashmir, simultaneously Modi is denying rights to people of Kashmir. All the people are British Kashmiris and have good sentiments for Pakistan. There is no doubt about it. Those people are not anti-India as well."
"Pakistan is the only country on an international level who plead a case for the people of Kashmir. Every Kashmiri living in Britain is pro-Pakistan because Pakistan is supporting this issue," he added.
The incident took place at 10.40 am local time and the aircraft took 6-7 rounds. The unsavoury incident has prompted the BCCI to file a written complaint with the International Cricket Council.
In an official statement about the provocative move, ICC had said, “We are incredibly disappointed this has happened again. We do not condone any sort of political messages at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup. Throughout the tournament, we have worked with local police forces around the country to prevent this type of protest occurring. After the previous incident, we were assured by West Yorkshire Police, there would not be a repeat of this issue, so we are very dissatisfied it has happened again.”