Football News

Cristiano Ronaldo 'firmly Denies' Rape Allegations, Says Conscience Is Clear

Written By Digital Desk | Mumbai | Published:

Hack:

  • Cristiano Ronaldo had been put in bad light after reports emerging of rape allegations against him.
  • The Portuguese international has now taken to Twitter to address the rape accusations issued against him.

Cristiano Ronaldo has made a public statement for the first time since the news broke out of the alleged rape allegations imposed against him by American model Kathryn Mayorga. The Portuguese superstar has denied the claims insisting his conscience was clear.

The forward, who watched from the stands as his new-club Juventus romped to a 3-0 rout of Swiss side Young Boys, took to Twitter to deny the accusations . The tweet read: "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me," said the five-time Ballon d'Or winner. 

"Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in," said the 33-year-old Juventus forward.Keen as I may be to clear my name I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense," Ronaldo added.

The talismanic forward further insisted that his conscience was clear and would patiently await the result of the investigations. ''My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquility the results of any and all investigations,'' he concluded.

The reported woman, Kathryn Mayorga filed a 32-page complaint against the renowned footballer last month in a district court in Nevada, after she decided to break her silence for the first time since the incident took place in 2009.

Las Vegas police this week said they were reopening a case filed on that date but did not identify the victim or the alleged perpetrator by name. Mayorga's lawyers are to hold a news conference in Las Vegas at 3:00 pm Pacific time (3:30 IST) on Wednesday to discuss the case.

The American model alleges that she was forced into signing a non-disclosure agreement to keep the incident a secret and is seeking no less than $200,000 in penalties and damages.

German media outlet Der Speigel, was the first to have reported the incident, but now Ronaldo's lawyers are suing the company for publishing a false story which is 'serious violation of public rights'.

According to Kathryn Mayorga, she claims that Cristiano Ronaldo forcefully raped her in a room in Las Vegas. The Portuguese was apparently partying with his brother-in-law and his cousin, when the incident occurred to have happened. 

Mayorga insists that the five-time Baloon D'or winner was brought down to his knees after being ashamed of the incident, while telling her that he was “99 per cent a good guy” let down by the “one per cent”.

(Agency inputs)

DO NOT MISS